Skip to main content

Daniels College of Business Records

 Collection
Identifier: U011
Collection contains correspondence, bulletins, publications, photographs, slides, contact sheets, clippings and other documents relating to media marketing , and communications for the Daniels College of Business.

Dates

  • Other: 1908-

Creator

Extent

45.4 Linear Feet

Biographical / Historical

In 1908 the School of Commerce, Accounts, and Finance was founded by John B. Gejiskeek . It was organized under the guidance of the Colorado Society of Certified Public Accountants. While an independent institution in name, an unofficial partnership with The University of Denver began almost immediately, with degrees conferred by the University and the building and library resources shared. While the school remained responsible for its own administrative operations and costs, the two schools were sufficiently bound, officially joining following contract negotiations in the summer of 1922.

It was the only business school of its kind in the Rocky Mountain Region. Initially the school offered only night classes to accommodate working students. Applicants both with and without high school diplomas could attend- but only those with diplomas would be granted a degree from the University. Students without high school diplomas were given certificates of proficiency. A Bachelors of Communication Science could be achieved in three years, and a Masters degree in four. In 1916 daytime classes were added to the course offerings, and a full program of day classes were initiated in 1922. After being without a permanent location for the School of Commerce, Accounts, and Finance, the search and authorization to purchase the new building for the institution began in early 1922. In 1923 the school was admitted to the American Association of Collegiate Schools of Business, remaining the only school admitted from the Rocky Mountain Region until 1938.

In 1946 the school was renamed the College of Business Administration . The College was moved to a new location built specifically for the institution, with its cornerstone laid on March 5th, 1949 at the Civic Center Campus.

The 1950’s represented a new era for College and the University at large. With decreasing student numbers, staff members sought out new ways to identify and recruit potential students. The undergraduate curriculum was adjusted to feature an expanded focus on humanities in addition to specialized business courses. The graduate program was also expanded to contain more specialized business programing. Enrollment and funding for the university continued to fluctuate for the larger part of the decade , though by 1960 Chancellor Alter reported applications were up eleven percent . In 1966 the ten departments of the college were consolidated into five, with alterations made to the curriculum in order to unite the disciplines. In the fall and winter of 1966 construction began for a new building for The College of Business Administration on the University Park Campus , opening for use in 1968.

In the late 80s a proposal for a change in the curriculum which would focus on ethics and community responsibility was shown to potential donor, cable magnate Bill Daniels. He would go on to donate 22 million dollars to the School of Business Administration in order to help create a new class of socially conscious businessmen. The new curriculum was instituted in its early stages starting in 1989, blossoming to the fully implemented plan by 1992. A new building was built to house the new college, which was renamed the Daniels College of Business, with the formal opening and dedication taking place in 1999. Offering both Undergraduate and Graduate Degrees, the Daniels College of Business continues its endeavor to create future oriented businessman and women with their nationally recognized business programs.

Arrangement

The collection is unarranged.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428