University of Denver Student Health and Counseling Center (HCC) Records
The University of Denver Student Health Service began in October 1945 with the appointment of Dr. Frank O. Robertson as the first full-time Health Director for the university. The first Health Service building opened on April 7, 1947 in a war-surplus building at 2040 South Josephine Street. As of 2005, health services were offered at the Health and Counseling Center (HCC) at the Ritchie Center. The collection contains administrative files, photographs, policy manuals, materials for committees and councils related to the operations of the service, and files of affiliated student-run health services such as the Open Clinic.
- University of Denver (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The University of Denver Student Health Service formally began in October 1945 with the appointment of Dr. Frank O. Robertson as the first full-time Health Director for the university. Psychiatrist Dr. Lewis Barbato joined as Assistant Director in April 1946 and worked to create a mental hygiene program. Shortly after, Dr. Robertson secured a war-surplus building at 2040 South Josephine Street for the Student Health Service and furnished it almost entirely with war-surplus equipment. This location opened on April 7, 1947 and operated there until January 1978, at which point the Student Health Service moved to Centennial Halls. In the fall of 1948, the Health Service began offering health insurance to students, one of the earliest offerings of college health insurance in the country. The administrative, insurance, dental and mental hygiene offices of the Student Health Service were originally in Templin Hall but consolidated at the 2040 South Josephine Street location in 1954. The Student Health Service moved to the Richie Center in the summer of 1999 and re-branded itself as the DU Student and Community Health Center. The Health Service merged with Counseling and Behavioral Health to create the Student Health and Counseling Center (HCC) in 2005.
5.75 Linear Feet (4 record boxes, 2 letter document, and 1 (.75) flat object box)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script