DU Women's Club Records
The DU Women's Club Records encompas the history of the organization from its beginnings as the Women's Faculty Club. The records contain governance documents and minutes, reports and newsletters, as well as publicity materials and scrapbooks documenting the history of the organization.
- University of Denver (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
In 1931 a group of University of Denver faculty women and wives of faculty members, who had been meeting informally for several years, formalized the group as the Faculty Wives of the Arts College. A like-minded group of female professors was called the Faculty Ladies Club of the downtown School of the University of Denver. September 19, 1935 the two groups merged to form the Women’s Faculty Club.
After the merger, the Women’s Faculty Club expanded its membership to wives of ROTC and Aviation Training personnel. Subgroups were organized for special interests, including Book Review, Contract Bridge, and Square Dancing, among others. A Student Loan Fund was established, with funds raised at a Bridge Benefit at the Daniels and Fisher Tearoom. During the War years, the group’s efforts were directed to such activities as Red Cross work, War Bonds, and U.S.O. events.
After the war there was a period of growth, both in the University population in general, fueled by the GI Bill, and in the faculty. The Women’s Faculty Club expanded to include the wives of students, then secretaries and administrative assistants were invited to join. New activities were initiated, including the Craft Guild, Fall Picnic, and Christmas Party. During the 1950s the membership continued to expand as membership was extended to University Trustees’ wives, and the wives of Iliff Faculty. The Women’s Faculty Club began supporting other campus activities, such as the Center for Students from Abroad, Student Health Services. An annual D.U. Night at Central City Opera was added to the sponsored events.
The year 1964 was the centennial year for the University of Denver, and the decade of the 1960s saw an emphasis on historical aspects of the organization. The War Bonds in which the organization had invested matured and were placed in a Centennial Fund which was used for such things as the improvement of the Phipps Conference Center and Buchtel House. Buchtel House became the permanent meeting place for the organization in 1963.
In 1981 the Constitution and By-Laws of the Women’s Faculty Club were revised and the name was changed to The University of Denver Women’s Club. The change recognized the fact that the organization had grown far beyond the original faculty wives.
0 Linear Feet
Scope and Contents
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script