Skip to main content

Beth Israel Congregation (Greeley, Colo.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B126
Most of Greeley's early Jews were Orthodox and services were held in private homes until 1925 when Beth Israel Congregation was formed in Greeley, Colorado and houses were rented for services. In 1952 Beth Israel had it's first synagogue when it purchased a former church in 1952 and incorporated in June 1953. Among the leaders of the Congregation were members of the Winograd family. Abe Winograd was Collection contains financial records, correspondence, administrative records, programs, newsclippings and newsletters from the Beth Israel Congregation.

Dates

  • 1948-2017

Creator

Extent

3 Linear Feet (4 boxes)

Biographical / Historical

Most of Greeley's early Jews were Orthodox and services were held in private homes until 1925 when Beth Israel Congregation was formed in Greeley, Colorado and houses were rented for services. In 1952 Beth Israel had it's first synagogue when it purchased a former church in 1952 and incorporated in June 1953. The first trustees in 1953 were Louis Dinner, Sam Gold, and Abe Winnograd. In the 1970s the congregation helped resettle Russian Jews in Greeley and formed a local chapter of the Colorado Committee of Concern for Soviet Jewry. Among the leaders of the Congregation were members of the Winograd family. Abe Winograd was born in Poland in 1885 and came to the United States in 1909. He settled in Greeley in 1916. His daughter Eleanor Winograd Judd and her husband Morris also helped to lead the Congregation. In 1974, a pre-fabricated synagogue building was erected at 1625 Reservoir Road.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in four series: 1) Financial Records, 1948-1978; 2) Correspondence, 1953-1979; 3) Administrative Records, 1952-1979; 4) Programs, Newsclippings, and Newsletters, 1973-2014.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428