Skip to main content

Jewish Family and Children's Service of Colorado Case Files

 Collection
Identifier: B182

The Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Colorado (JFCS) was created in response to international, national, and local needs of refugees. In 1947, the Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Denver, Colorado was created when the boards of the Central Jewish Aid Society of Denver, Colorado and the Denver Coordinating Committee for Immigrants of the National Council of Jewish Women merged. Dr. Alfred Neumann, a social worker, became the full-time director. The agency provided services in three areas: family, child, and vocational guidance; service to established residents; and immigrant aid. The collection consists of personal case files from 1921 to 1969.

Dates

  • 1921-1969

Creator

Extent

28.5 Linear Feet (57 legal document boxes)

Scope and Contents

The collection consists of personal case files from 1921 to 1969.

Biographical / Historical

The Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Colorado (JFCS) was created in a response to international, national, and local needs of refugees. The JFCS emerged from two organizations, the National Council of Jewish Women, Denver Section (NCJW), founded in 1893 and the Central Jewish Aid Society of Denver, Colorado, organized in 1915 and incorporated in 1923. Ray David was the first superintendent of the Jewish Aid Society. In 1937, Tillye Levy became a member of the Service to Foreign Born Committee of the NCJW and immediately began organizing resources for Jews who fled the early stages of the Holocaust. The services supplied facilitated the adjustment of the refugees. At Tillye Levy’s request, Isadore Hilb became the first chair of the new Denver Coordinating Committee for Refugees. A. B. Hirshfield was the chair of the job placement committee, Dave Harlem was in charge of creating affidavits, and Surriee Feder Miller was responsible for integrating newcomers into the Denver community. In 1947, the Jewish Family and Children’s Service was created when the boards of the Central Jewish Aid Society and the NCJW committees merged. Sydney Grossman became the newly formed agency’s first president, and Dr. Alfred Neumann, a social worker, became the full-time director. The name was changed to the Jewish Family and Children's Service of Denver in 1954 and became the Jewish Family and Children's Service of Colorado in 1972. The JFCS continued to give relief to the needy and assist refugees in resettling, but also expanded into the field of family and child welfare. The JFCS created the “Denver Plan,” procedures for integrating new residents into the community, which was copied by cities across the United States. The agency hired trained staff to provide service in three areas: family, child, and vocational guidance; service to established residents; and immigrant aid. The agency also handled German reparation money through the Utility Workshop, headed by Mary (Mrs. Sidney) Jacobs. The Utility Workshop produced jobs and services for individuals suffering from emotional or physical handicaps. The services provided by the JFCS continue on through its successor, the Jewish Family Service of Colorado.

Arrangement

The records are arranged in one series: 1. Case Files, 1921-1969.

Immediate Source of Acquisition

Gift of the Jewish Children's and Family Service of Colorado in 1981 and 2002.

Accruals

No further accruals are expected.

Related Materials

Related materials located in the following collections: Beck Archives Organizations Collection, B118; Mary Jacobs Papers, B200; National Council of Jewish Women, Denver Section Records, B094; Rockey Mountain Jewish History Society Oral Histories, B098; and Tillye Levy Papers, B260. A scrapbook, newspaper articles and organizational histories that were donated to the University of Denver University Libraries Special Collections & Archives, Beck Archives in January of 1981 by Jewish Family and Children's Service of Colorado were placed with the Beck Archives Organizations Collection, B118.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428