School of Glider Flight and Construction Records
The School of Glider Flight and Construction began at the University of Denver in May, 1942. It was active during the years of World War II, and after the war evolved into programs of power flight instruction and airline management. The last classes in glider flight were offered in 1946. The records include an instruction manual, glider drawings, newspaper clippings and articles.
Biographical / Historical
The School of Glider Flight and Construction began at the University of Denver in May, 1942. At that time a class was offered at Lowry Field, an adult class was offered downtown, and another class was offered for teenagers. On October 2, 1942, the Clarion, the school newspaper, announced that the Glider flight program was to be a prelude to Civilian Pilot Training, and night classes would be given in glider construction. At the time of the first flight of a University of Denver constructed glider, University of Denver was the only university in the nation offering credit for such classes.
0.25 Linear Feet (1 half legal document box)
Scope and Contents
The records (1942-1944) include an instruction manual, glider drawings, newspaper clippings and articles.
The records are arranged in two series: 1. Articles and Clippings, 1942-1944. 2. Glider Construction Manual and Drawings, 1943-1944.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Transfer from the Office of the Chancellor, 1960.
No further accruals are expected.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script