Department of Media, Film, and Journalism Studies Records
The records of the Department of Media, Film and Journalism cover the periods of its inception in the late 1940s when it was known as the Department of Radio - Television - Film to 1966 when it merged with the Department of Journalism to form the Department of Mass - Communications to the current day as it is known now. As a program that provided DU's students practical and functional training for successful careers in communications media, it offered not only workshops and clinics but a full four-year undergraduate and later graduate programs. The records include early brochures on programs offered containing descriptions and faculty listings, the "Call Letter" newsletter published by the DU Radio Guild in cooperation with the department noting events within the department and its members achievements as well as a number of grant proposals related to educational and social programing that radio, television, and film can provide.
Biographical / Historical
According to the documentation on file, the Department of Radio - Television and later -Film was developed within the School of Communications, which as previously the Department of Oratory created in 1894, in 1947. Developed by R. Russell Porter and others, the radio and television program was adopted to adapt to the growing demands for training in these new medias. It provided its students practical and functional training for successful careers in communications media as well as workshops and clinics in its early days. Yet, as demand grew, so too did the program providing four-year and later gradute degrees in all areas of radio, television and film. The department had a long history of close relations with campus and local radio and television stations providing students the practical applications of their newly learned skills. During the 1960s there were several initiatives by Porter and later department chair Harold A. Mendelsohn to develop educational and social service programing from television media. In 1966 the department was combined with the fledgling Department of Journalism to create the Department of Mass-Communications. The Department of Mass Communications changed its name to the Department of Media, Film, and Journalism Studies in 2010
4.5 Linear Feet (5 containers)
Scope and Contents
Although a small number of records, they contain a good deal of information on the Department of Radio - Television - Film, later Department of Mass Communications, and curently known as the Department of Media, Film, and Journalism. The Records contain mostly textual documents with some audio visual materials.
The contents are arranged by subject matter and chronologically.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
- University of Denver. Department of Radio - Television - Film (Organization)
- University of Denver. Department of Mass Communications (Organization)
- University of Denver. Department of Media, Film, and Journalism Studies (Organization)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script