Colorado Women's College (after 1993) Records
The Colorado Women's College at the University of Denver was formally established as a College of the University in 1997. The College is focused on providing a specifically women-centered context to its students. The collection is comprised of administrative records, program files, Alumni Association records, and documentation related to the construction of the Merle Chambers Center.
- University of Denver. Colorado Women's College (Organization)
Biographical / Historical
The Women's College of the University of Denver began in 1909 as the Colorado Woman's Baptist College. By the year 1915, enrollment in the college had reached 178 students. In 1967, the college reached an all-time high in enrollment at 1,117 students, and was renamed Temple Buell College after a gift of $25 million from Temple Buell. In 1973, the name was changed back to Colorado Women's College.
In 1976, the Colorado Women's College proposed a merger with the University of Denver due to financial difficulties, but the offer was declined by DU. In an effort to explore a more diverse student base, CWC began The Weekend College program in 1979. Financial problems continued for CWC, and the College again approached the University of Denver about a merger. After a study conducted by both institutions, the University of Denver acquired CWC in 1982. The University of Denver continued The Weekend College as a part of its Daniels College of Business.
In 1993, Michele Bloom became the Exectutive Director of The Weekend College. The Weekend College existed as a continuing education program for women, and Bloom renamed the program The Women's College in the same year she became Executive Director. The Women's College became a separate academic unit within the University, and Michele Bloom was named its first Dean in 1997.
In 1999, The Women's College moved to the University Park Campus, and the construction of a Women's Center was announced. In 2004, the Merle Chambers Center for the Advancement of Women was completed and opened.
In 2007, Dr. Lynn M. Gangone was named the second Dean of The Women's College, and Michele Bloom was named Dean Emerita.
1 Linear Feet
Scope and Contents
- Michele Bloom's Records, 1977-2006
- Chambers Center Records, 1993-2006
- Marketing, PR, and Publications, 1995-2003
- Administrative Files, 1989-2007
- Alumni Files, 1986-2006
- The Weekender, 1982-2006
- Lark Birdsong's Files, 1999-2001
- Academic Program Files, 1990-2007
- Description rules