Showing Collections: 11 - 19 of 19
Overview Leonid B. Heifets was born 1926 in what is now Belarus. Dr. Heifets began his medical training at age 16, obtaining an MD, PhD and ScD. He participated with the World Health Organization as a member of Russian medical expeditions to the Congo in 1960 and 1962. He immigrated to the United States in 1979 and was employed by the National Jewish Hospital as head of the Mycobacteriology laboratory for 32 years. In 1994 and 1994 he went to Botswana and South Africa as an American expert on...
Scope and Contents Course materials, student papers, professional development materials, notes, papers, language tapes, photographs.
Overview Rabbi Adelman was a member of the executive committee of the Rabbinical Council of America and in 1949 he was honored by Gov. Alfred Driscoll of New Jersey for his civil rights leadership. He came to BMH in Denver in 1957 ushering in a new era for the congregation focusing on civil rights, Soviet Jewry and disability rights. He also wrote a book of religious poetry. Collection contains a book by Rabbi Samuel Adelman, titled “Windows to My Soul” and a book in memorial to Rabbi Samuel Adelman,...
Overview Stanley M. Wagner was born in 1932 in Brooklyn, New York and ordained at Yeshiva University. He was the spiritual leader of BMH-BJ from 1972-1997. He received 6 post graduate degrees, founded the University of Denver's Center for Judaic Studies in 1975, and co-founded the Mizel Museum of Judaica in 1982. 1970-1972, he was the executive vice-president of the religeous zionest (mizrachi). He was directory of the Center for Judaic Studies from 1975 until he retired in 2006. As part of the Center...
Overview Robert Gamzey was an editor for the Intermountain Jewish News, a writer for the Denver Post, and the author of a number of books. Collection contains correspondence and news clippings containing reviews of books written by Robert Gamzey from 1956 through 1976.
Overview Author Ruth Suckow was born in Iowa and moved to Denver, Colorado to join her sister Emma (.d 1923) who had moved to Denver to seek relief from tuberculosis. Suckow graduated from the University of Denver, earning a B.A. degree (English) in 1917 and an M.A. in 1918. She worked as a graduate assistant for Dr. Ida Kruse McFarlane, head of the English Department at the University. Suckow's friend during these years was Amy Carlson (later Amy Buchanan). Suckow married Ferner Nuhn in 1929. She...
Overview Collection contains publications, correspondence, obituaries, newspaper clippings and religious objects from Schubert and Anne Fendrich.
Overview Marietta Cassell Vasconcells Bakewell was a writer who married Jerry Cox Vasoncells in 1922. This collection consists of a postcard sent to Vasconcells by American author and playwright Thornton Wilder, thanking her for sending him pictures from Arizona.
Overview William E. Barrett (1900-1986) wrote numerous novels, short stories and articles. His novel, The Left Hand of God, was translated into ten different languages and was made into a movie, starring Humphrey Bogart. The Lilies of the Field was made into a movie starring Sidney Poitier in 1963. Barrett's work reflects the dilemmas of his society through interpersonal relationships and religious and ethical decisions made by his characters. His writings are representative of the needs of the age,...
- Subject: Authors X
- Adelman, Samuel, Rabbi, 1915-1966 1
- B'nai B'rith. Anti-defamation League. Mountain States Regional Office 1
- Barrett, William E. (William Edmund), 1900-1986 1
- Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Brom, Libor 1
- Denver Quarterly 1
- Fendrich, Anne (Chason), 1931- 1
- Fendrich, Shubert, 1927-1989 1
- Gamzey, Robert 1
- Greenwald, Jack, June 14, 1928 1
- Greenwald, Jekuthiel Judah, 1889-1955 1
- Heifets, Leonid B., 1926-2015 1
- Hudson, Deatt, 1931-1988 1
- Hurwitz, Bernard, 1857-1941 1
- Hurwitz, Ida, 1898-1984 1
- Hurwitz, Sarah Leibson, 1858-1918 1
- Intermountain Jewish News 1
- National Jewish Hospital (U.S.) 1
- Nemiro, Beverly Anderson 1
- Pioneer Drama Service 1
- Ramke, Bin, 1947- 1
- Suckow, Ruth, 1892-1960 1
- Thomas Jefferson High School (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Uchill, Ida Libert, 1917-2014 1
- University of Denver 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies 1
- University of Denver. Center for Publications 1
- University of Denver. College of Law 1
- University of Denver. Department of English 1
- Wagner, Stanley M. 1
- Wiesel, Elie, 1928-2016 1
- Wilder, Thornton 1 ∧ less