Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 23
Overview Louis Anfenger was typical of the young Jewish men who migrated to the Colorado Territory in the state's formative years. Born in Bavaria, Anfenger came to the United States in the 1850s and moved to Denver in 1870 to seek his fortune. He became a highly successful businessman in the area of real estate as well as a member of the Denver Chamber of Commerce and was later elected to the state legislature in the 1880s. He was a founder of Congregation Emanuel, Denver B'nai B'rith, and National...
Overview Intentionaly created collection to keep newspaper clippings about Jews in the west. Some of the people and organizations are also in other collections. The articles contain miscellaneous clippings and articles about Jews in the Rocky Mountain west, primarily from the Rocky Mountain News, the Intermountain Jewish News (IJN) and the Denver Post. Some of the articles are from a column, "Out of the Past," written by Mike Zelinger that appeared in the IJN. Also included is the Century Edition of the...
Overview This collection contains materials intentionally assembled by Beck Archives. Materials relate to past and present Jewish congregations, which were or still are located in Denver, Colorado, or the western United States. Materials are originals or copies of items dating from 1906-2004, including receipts, correspondence, newspaper clippings, newsletters, member and founder lists, event programs, invitations, legal documents, interview transcripts, brochures, slichos, Hebrew Bibles, and...
Overview Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco...
Overview Most of Greeley's early Jews were Orthodox and services were held in private homes until 1925 when Beth Israel Congregation was formed in Greeley, Colorado and houses were rented for services. In 1952 Beth Israel had it's first synagogue when it purchased a former church in 1952 and incorporated in June 1953. Among the leaders of the Congregation were members of the Winograd family. Abe Winograd was Collection contains financial records, correspondence, administrative records, programs,...
Overview Congregation Albert was established in 1897 by Alfred Grunsfeld, Henry N. Jaffa and Berthold Apitz. The naming rights were auctioned off and the Grunsfeld family, for $250, chose to name the synagogue after Alfred's late father, Albert Grunsfeld. The first building was dedicated in 1900, the second building was dedicated in 1951 and the third in 1984. The collection contains histories of the congregation and dedication journals from 1951 and 1984.
Overview Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the...
Overview On July 13, 1884, Horrace Tabor conveyed property, as a gift, to "David May for the Benefit of the Congregation Israel." The congregation was organized primarily by Germanic Jews under the practice of Reform Judaism. The temple cost $4,000 to erect and was dedicated on September 19, 1884. A separate Jewish cemetery was also created. Of Leadville's population of 30,000 in the early 1800s, there were around around 300 Jewish residents. Many Jewish families in Leadville left after the silver panic...
Overview Congregation Micah, the second Jewish Reform congregation in Denver, was started by members of Denver's Temple Emanuel who felt that their congregation had strayed from the principles taught by its former leader, Rabbi William Friedman. A number of individuals involved in the school's formation started a Reform Judaism congregation, which became incorporated in September 1956 as the Denver Congregation for Reform Judaism and changed its name to Congregation Micah in 1957. Congregation Micah...
Overview The large Glazerlach (Goldberg) family from Brest-Liovsk organized their own Chassidic (hasidic) congregation in 1885 in the home of Rabbi David Radinsky. The Congregation Mogen David (Shield of David), better know as the Glazerlach Shul, was housed in a brightly painted frame house on the west bank of the Platte River, next to Radinsky Rag factory. The location was prone to flooding and in the 1909 flood the synagogue was filled with eight feet of water. The Mogen David was one of two...
- Subject: Synagogues X
- Anfenger, Louis, 1842-1900 2
- Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol (Denver, Colo.) 2
- Congregation Emanuel (Denver, Colo.) 2
- Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.) 2
- Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971 2
- Mount Sinai Congregation (Cheyenne, Wyo.) 2
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies. Ira M. Beck Memorial Archives (Beck Archives) 2
- American Medical Center (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Anfenger family 1
- Anfenger, Louise Schlesinger, 1847-1938 1
- Anfenger, Milton L. (Milton Louis), 1874-1952 1
- Beth Israel Congregation (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Beth Israel Congregation (Greeley, Colo.) 1
- Beth Jacob Synagogue (Lakewood, Colo.) 1
- Beth Joseph Congregation (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Israel (Leadville, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Micah (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Mogan David 1
- Congregation Oheb Zadek (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Rodef Shalom (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Shearith Israel (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Sons of Israel (Colorado Springs, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Zera Abraham (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Denver Post 1
- Freudenthal, Alfred M. (Alfred Martin), 1906-1977 1
- Freudenthal, Leopold 1
- Gilbert, Sara Lonstein 1
- Goodstein, Phil H. 1
- Hornbein, Flora Anfenger, 1888-1964 1
- Hornbein, Marjorie, 1913-2006 1
- Intermountain Jewish News 1
- JCRS Isaac Solomon Historic Synagogue Foundation 1
- Jacobs, Frances Wisebart, 1843-1892 1
- Jaffa, Sam 1
- Jaffa, Sol 1
- Judd Construction Company 1
- Judd family 1
- Judd, E. James (Edmond James) 1
- Judd, Samuel, 1892-1971 1
- Judelovitz Family 1
- Judelovitz, Abrahm (Avram), 1866-1942 1
- Judelowitz Family 1
- Kauvar, Belle Bluestone 1
- May, David 1
- Mears, Otto, 1840-1931 1
- Michael, Stella Anfenger, 1877-1948 1
- Naster, Betty, 1921-2018 1
- Rachofsky Family 1
- Radinsky, David 1
- Rapp, Isaac Hamilton, 1854-1933 1
- Rayor, Bernard Leon 1
- Rinds, Fannie Anfenger, 1885-1965 1
- Rocky Mountain College of Art + Design 1
- Rocky Mountain News 1
- Rubinoff, Michael W. 1
- Sargent, John Singer, 1856-1925 1
- Solomon, Isaac, 1852-1914 1
- TRI-Sulom (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Tabor, Horace Austin Warner, 1830-1899 1
- Temple Aaron (Trinidad, Colo.) 1
- Temple Emanuel (Pueblo, Colo.) 1
- Temple Shalom (Colorado Springs, Colo.) 1
- Temple Sinai (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Twerski, B. C. Shloime, 1923-1981 1
- Twerski, Mordecai B. 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies 1
- Wagner, Stanley M. 1
- Winograd, Abraham 1
- Zwerin, Raymond A., 1936- 1 ∧ less