Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Abstract Dr. Jeanne Abrams of the Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society of the Center for Judaic Studies collected materials of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society separate from the JCRS Records. Collection contains a draft of "The Origins of Denver's JCRS" by Dr. Charles Spivak, newspaper articles, issues of patients' magazine Hatikvah, contribution forms, "Thirty Years of Saving Lives" history of JCRS sanitorium, JCRS programs and pamphlets and, books related JCRS from 1900 through 1982.
Abstract Henry J. Schwartz was born in Russia and came to New York with his parents. He settled in Denver in 1895 and married Mollie K. Kohn in 1898. Henry Schwartz was an original member of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society board of directors and served as president and vice president of the JCRS. He was also a member of the Town Club. Much of the scrapbook has clipplings on the JCRS, but also on politics, Temple Emanuel, and obituaries for Dr. Philip Hillkowitz.
Abstract The Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society was known as the JCRS and was founded in Denver, Colorado in 1904 as a non-sectarian sanatorium to treat tuberculosis (TB) patients, free of charge, in all stages of the disease. The society was one of the leading tuberculosis sanatoria in the country at the turn of the century founded by a group of immigrant Eastern European Jewish men, many of whom were themselves victims of TB. Headed by Dr. Charles Spivak as Secretary (1904-1927) and by Dr. Philip...
Dates: 1897-1989; Majority of material found within 1904-1973
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Europe, Eastern -- Emigration and immigration 1
- Hospitals -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jews -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Politics and government 1
- Publications 1
- Sanatoriums -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Synagogues -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Tuberculosis -- Hospitals -- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Tuberculosis -- Patients 1
- United States -- Emigration and immigration 1 ∧ less
- Hillkowitz, Philip, 1873-1948 2
- Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927 2
- Abrams, Jeanne E., 1951- 1
- Congregation Emanuel (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society 1
- Schwartz, Henry J. 1 ∧ less