Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco...
Overview The Denver Chapter of Hadassah was organized in 1915. Hadassah is a Zionist organization that combine the Jewish emphasis on social welfare with the ideology of Zionism. The Denver Chapter continues to support Israel and to promote health awareness, education, and Zionist youth programs. The minutes, programs, publications, and scrapbooks and scrapbooks reflect the history of a Jewish women's organization with programs in Israel and Denver.
Overview Rabbi Charles E. Hillel Kauvar was a rabbi for 69 years at the Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (The Great House of Learning) Synagogue in Denver, Colorado. He was also a professor of rabbinical literature at the University of Denver for 43 years and helped establish the Center for Judaic Studies at the University. After he retired from teaching, the University of Denver honored him by establishing a Kauvar Chair of Hebraic Studies. Rabbi Kauvar was born in Vilna, Lithuania in 1879 and began as rabbi...