Showing Collections: 1 - 9 of 9
Overview Abraham J. Kauvar graduated from the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado in 1935 and earned a Doctor of Medicine in 1939 from the University of Chicago. He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as director of...
Overview The Allied Jewish Community Council of Denver was established in 1949 with goals to unite the Jewish community of Denver and work to coordinate charitable activities and the advancement of the Jewish community in Denver. Collection contains administrative papers, surveys, pamphlets and brochures relating to the Allied Jewish Community Council of Denver.
Dates: Other: 1950-1980
Overview Asherman was a longtime volunteer for NJH, beginning when she joined the New York Auxiliary Chapter of the National Home for Jewish Children. She later became president of the axillary, and then as a national auxiliary board member and trustee. She helped establish 17 auxiliary chapters in New York. Collection contains photographs, correspondence, journals and newsletters related to Bea Asherman from 1924 through 1998.
Overview The Beck Archives Photograph Collection contains photographs, negatives, and other materials which reflect the rich, varied, and vibrant Jewish experience in the Rocky Mountain region, with a special emphasis on Colorado. It also contains some photographs from other states and countries.
Dates: 1790-2006; 1790 - 2006
Overview Cheltenham Elementary School served many Jewish students from the west side of Denver. The kindergarten class of 1936 began having reunions in 1969. The collection contains some general photographs and photographs of attendees of the 80th reunion. Attendees include Helen Morris and Max Appel.
Overview Deborah Howard is an Associate Professor and Head of Painting Program at the University of Denver. After a discussion on racial stereotypes and aging in a Figure Painting course Howard was teaching, she began to develop her Portraits of Child Holocaust Survivors project and settled on drawing as the media for the project. Howard has drawn and painted twenty-five people who escaped, hid or survived concentration camps during the Jewish Holocaust of WWII. Four portraits from the project are in...
Overview Fannie Eller was born in Geishen, Russia, in 1881. She and her family immigrated to America when Fannie was a teenager and moved to the West Colfax area of Denver in 1896. She married Jacob Lorber and became interested in the plight of "tb orphans." In 1907, Fannie Lorber, Bessie Willems, and some other eastern European women founded the Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children to care for children of Jewish tb patients at the National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives and at the Jewish...
Overview The Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Colorado (JFCS) was created in response to international, national, and local needs of refugees. In 1947, the Jewish Family and Children’s Service of Denver, Colorado was created when the boards of the Central Jewish Aid Society of Denver, Colorado and the Denver Coordinating Committee for Immigrants of the National Council of Jewish Women merged. Dr. Alfred Neumann, a social worker, became the full-time director. The agency provided services in...
Dates: 1948 - 2007
Overview Collection contains family documents and material objects related to the Loeb Family. Many of these items relate directly to the Holocaust and WWII. Important items include German passports and IDs, documents relating firsthand accounts of WWII and the Holocaust, photographs from before, during, and after the war, including photographs of Ernest Loeb as a US soldier in Germany, Ernest Loeb's Bronze Star Medal, scrapbooks, early German school report cards, and Jewish books of scripture.
- Subject: Jewish children X
- National Home for Jewish Children in Denver 2
- Allied Jewish Community Council of Denver 1
- Appel, Max 1
- Asherman, Bea, 1909-1999 1
- Cheltenham Elementary School (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children 1
- Goldman Loeb, Gloria Ann 1
- Howard, Deborah 1
- Jewish Family and Children's Service. (Denver, CO) 1
- Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children 1
- Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver 1
- Kauvar, Abraham J., 1915-2003 1
- Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971 1
- Kauvar, Jean B., 1918-2012 1
- Levi (Levӱ), Heinrich, 1861-1930 1
- Levy, Tillye Shulman (Matilda), 1895-1984 1
- Loeb (Löb), Bella Levi, 1890-1960 1
- Loeb (Löb), Emil, 1881-1952 1
- Loeb (Löb), Ernest K., 1924-1972 1
- Loeb (Löb), Frank Ludwig, 1921-2007 1
- Loeb, Dorothy Anne Katz, 1925-1998 1
- Loeb, Laurence (Larry) Harvey, born 1950 1
- Loeb, Ron (Ronald Emil), 1953-2018 1
- Lorber, Fannie E. (Fannie Eller), 1881-1958 1
- Morris, Helen 1
- National Asthma Center (U.S.) 1
- National Jewish Health (U.S.) 1
- Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society 1
- Schuckman, Walter (Walther) 1
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center 1
- University of Denver 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies. Ira M. Beck Memorial Collection of Rocky Mountain Jewish History 1 ∧ less