Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Overview Abraham J. Kauvar graduated from the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado in 1935 and earned a Doctor of Medicine in 1939 from the University of Chicago. He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as director of...
Overview In 1954 Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) changed its mission to cancer research and became the American Medical Center and later known as the AMC Cancer Research Center. AMC completely merged with the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 2014. Collection contains board of trustee's minutes, committee minutes, reports, AMC By-laws, name plates, posters, publications, programs, photographs, and scrapbooks related to the AMC Cancer Research Center from 1957 through 2012....
Dates: Other: 1904-2012
Overview Louis Anfenger was typical of the young Jewish men who migrated to the Colorado Territory in the state's formative years. Born in Bavaria, Anfenger came to the United States in the 1850s and moved to Denver in 1870 to seek his fortune. He became a highly successful businessman in the area of real estate as well as a member of the Denver Chamber of Commerce and was later elected to the state legislature in the 1880s. He was a founder of Congregation Emanuel, Denver B'nai B'rith, and National...
Dates: Other: 1861-1989
Overview Bea Asherman was a longtime volunteer for National Jewish Health, beginning when she joined the New York Auxiliary Chapter of the National Home for Jewish Children, later the National Asthma Center. She became president of the New York auxillary, and then a national auxiliary board member and trustee. She continued to volunteer after the National Asthma Center merged with National Jewish Hospital. She helped establish 17 auxiliary chapters in New York. Collection contains photographs,...
Overview Dr. Jeanne Abrams of the Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society of the Center for Judaic Studies collected materials of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society separate from the JCRS Records. Collection contains a draft of "The Origins of Denver's JCRS" by Dr. Charles Spivak, newspaper articles, issues of patients' magazine Hatikvah, contribution forms, "Thirty Years of Saving Lives" history of JCRS sanitorium, JCRS programs and pamphlets and, books related JCRS from 1900 through 1982.
Overview The Beck Archives Photograph Collection contains photographs, negatives, and other materials which reflect the rich, varied, and vibrant Jewish experience in the Rocky Mountain region, with a special emphasis on Colorado. It also contains some photographs from other states and countries.
Dates: 1790-2006; 1790 - 2006
Overview Bernard S. Fellner wrote “The Confessions and Convictions of a Conscientious CFO” about his nearly 18 years as the chief financial officer of National Jewish Hospital from 1980-1997. He helped make NJH solvent during the transition of National Jewish Hospital from inpatient to outpatient treatment of asthma. National Jewish Hospital began as a tuberculosis sanitorium and was free to all patients. When Bernard Fellner arrived in 1980, NJH had only recently begun to charge for treatment and had...
Dates: Other: February 2020
Overview Henry J. Schwartz was born in Russia and came to New York with his parents. He settled in Denver in 1895 and married Mollie K. Kohn in 1898. Henry Schwartz was an original member of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society board of directors and served as president and vice president of the JCRS. He was also a member of the Town Club. Much of the scrapbook has clipplings on the JCRS, but also on politics, Temple Emanuel, and obituaries for Dr. Philip Hillkowitz.
Overview The Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society was known as the JCRS and was founded in Denver, Colorado in 1904 as a non-sectarian sanatorium to treat tuberculosis (TB) patients, free of charge, in all stages of the disease. The society was one of the leading tuberculosis sanatoria in the country at the turn of the century founded by a group of immigrant Eastern European Jewish men, many of whom were themselves victims of TB. Headed by Dr. Charles Spivak as Secretary (1904-1927) and by Dr. Philip...
Dates: 1897-1989; Majority of material found within 1904-1973
Overview Collection contains scrapbooks, programs, newspaper clippings, plaques, a U.S. Bureau of Customs flag, awards, scrolls and posters related to John E. Streltzer. Humanitarian John E. Streltzer was born in Denver on June 2, 1901, the son of Ben and Rebecca Streltzer in Denver's West Side. He met Sarah Safran in 1923 at a club he had helped organize on the West Side. John and Sarah Streltzer established a wholesale office supply business and he served nearly three terms as a member of...
- Subject: Jewish hospitals -- Colorado -- Denver X
- Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.) 3
- National Jewish Health (U.S.) 3
- Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society 3
- Abrams, Jeanne E., 1951- 2
- Hillkowitz, Philip, 1873-1948 2
- National Jewish Hospital and Research Center (U.S.) 2
- Spivak, C. D. (Charles D.), 1861-1927 2
- AMC Cancer Research Center (Denver, Colo.) 1
- AMC Cancer Research Center and Hospital (Denver, Colo.) 1
- American Medical Center (Denver, Colo.) 1
- American Red Cross 1
- Anfenger family 1
- Anfenger, Louis, 1842-1900 1
- Anfenger, Louise Schlesinger, 1847-1938 1
- Anfenger, Milton L. (Milton Louis), 1874-1952 1
- Asherman, Bea, 1909-1999 1
- Beth Israel Hospital and Geriatric Center (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Emanuel (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Fellner, Bernard S. 1
- Friedman, William S., Rabbi, 1868-1944 1
- Grabfelder, Samuel, d.1920 1
- Hornbein, Flora Anfenger, 1888-1964 1
- Hornbein, Marjorie, 1913-2006 1
- Independent Order of B'nai B'rith. Denver Lodge No. 171 (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Jacobs, Frances Wisebart, 1843-1892 1
- Kauvar, Abraham J., 1915-2003 1
- Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971 1
- Kauvar, Jean B., 1918-2012 1
- Michael, Stella Anfenger, 1877-1948 1
- Mile High United Way 1
- National Asthma Center (U.S.) (1973-1977) 1
- National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine (U.S.) 1
- National Jewish Hospital (U.S.) 1
- National Jewish Hospital and Research Center/National Asthma Center (U.S.) 1
- National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives (U.S.) 1
- National Jewish Medical and Research Center (U.S.) 1
- Pisko, Seraphine Eppstein, 1861-1942 1
- Rinds, Fannie Anfenger, 1885-1965 1
- Schwartz, Henry J. 1
- Shoenberg, Joseph E. 1
- Streltzer, John E. (Ellis), 1901-1985 1
- Streltzer, Sara 1
- Tepper, Jacob 1
- Tepper, Jerry 1
- U.S. Customs Service 1
- University of Colorado Health Sciences Center 1
- University of Denver 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies. Ira M. Beck Memorial Collection of Rocky Mountain Jewish History 1 ∧ less