Showing Collections: 1 - 5 of 5
Overview In 1926, Beth David Sisterhood was founded in an effort to create a new Hebrew school and Jewish social center for the West Colfax area of Denver, Colorado. The Beth David Hebrew School and Center met at the home of the Reverend and Mrs. Jacob Gordon at 1490 Julian Street. In November 1928, Beth David Sisterhood formed an alliance with Beth David Brotherhood and the Denver Hebrew Institute, and this group became known as the Hebrew Educational Alliance in 1929. The collection consists of the...
Overview Rabbi Manuel Laderman was the first full-time spiritual leader at the Hebrew Educational Alliance, serving as Rabbi for 42 years and then as Rabbi Emeritus until his death in 1989. He was also the head of the City of Denver’s department of health and hospitals. Collection contains materials related to Rabbi Manuel Laderman including Ordinance No. 435 to name the new East wing of Denver General after Rabbi Laderman, dedication materials, news clippings, tributes, and posthumous memorials related...
Overview The Hebrew Educational Alliance was founded in 1932 and became the largest congregation on Denver's west side. The Hebrew Educational Alliance was created as a result of the ''alliance'' between the Beth David Hebrew School Sisterhood and Brotherhood, and the Denver Hebrew Institute. The combined synagogue and Hebrew School was organized along Orthodox lines. On October 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived in Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. In 1994,...
Overview Collection contains correspondence, and notes related to Jacob Gorden from 1920, documents, and digitized photographs from circa 1900 to 1969..
Dates: circa 1900-1969
Overview Cantor Jacob Lefkowitz was considered one of the preeminent American-born cantors of the 20th century and composed liturgical music for prayers, psalms, cantatas and recitatives. His first cantorial positon was at Denver's Hebrew Education, where he was cantor from 1941-1957. Jacob Lefkowitz was born in 1913 in Cleveland, Ohio. The Cantor Jacob Lefkowitz Cantorial Melodies collection contains three 33rpm 12-inch records with "Cantorial Melodies" composed and sung by Cantor Jacob Lefkowitz.
Dates: circa 1950