Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the...
Overview Henry J. Schwartz was born in Russia and came to New York with his parents. He settled in Denver in 1895 and married Mollie K. Kohn in 1898. Henry Schwartz was an original member of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society board of directors and served as president and vice president of the JCRS. He was also a member of the Town Club. Much of the scrapbook has clipplings on the JCRS, but also on politics, Temple Emanuel, and obituaries for Dr. Philip Hillkowitz.
Overview Founded in 1874, Temple Emanuel, also known as Congregation Emanuel, is the largest and oldest synagogue in the Rocky Mountain Region. The location at 16th and Pearl streets was dedicated in January of 1899 and served the congregation until they fully expanded into their current location on Grape Street in 1960. In 2006 the Pearl Street Temple was purchased by Denver Community Church. The building is a National Historic Site. Collection contains photographs, scrapbooks, administrative papers,...