Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 6 of 6

Congregation Emanuel Records

 Collection
Identifier: B258
Overview Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the...

Fair Cook Book

 Collection
Identifier: B295
Overview The Fair Cookbook was published by the Ladies of Congregation Emanuel in Denver, Colorado in 1888. It is the earliest known Jewish fundraising cookbook in America. The cookbook was sold at the fair that the Ladies of Temple Emanuel organized in 1888 to pay off the mortgage on the Temple. It is 49 pages in length with 13 sections, and features both traditional Jewish kosher recipes and recipes for non-kosher items as well as the names of individual contributors. The collection is a...

Pearl Street Temple Emanuel Synagogue Foundation Records

 Collection
Identifier: B276
Overview Founded in 1874, Temple Emanuel, also known as Congregation Emanuel, is the largest and oldest synagogue in the Rocky Mountain Region. The location at 16th and Pearl streets was dedicated in January of 1899 and served the congregation until they fully expanded into their current location on Grape Street in 1960. In 2006 the Pearl Street Temple was purchased by Denver Community Church. The building is a National Historic Site. Collection contains photographs, scrapbooks, administrative papers,...

Rabbi Samuel Weil Portraits

 Collection
Identifier: B383
Overview Samuel Weil served as the rabbi of Congregation Emanuel in Denver, Colorado, in 1876-1877. He was only appointed under a 1 year contract and was granted a 6 month extension in March 1877. However, he was relieved of his duties due to "inadequacies" and remarks he made on June 1st which the board did not "countenance." The Weil family left Denver in December of 1877 after it was learned that the Rabbi had written to a Reverend in the Presbyterian Church proclaiming his belief in Jesus Christ...

Robert Levy Papers

 Collection
Identifier: B372
Overview Dr. Robert Levy (1864-1945) began attending the University of Denver in 1880. Most of the signatures in the autograph album date from when he was a student at the university. He started practicing medicine in Denver in 1884 after training at Bellevue Hospital. He helped found National Jewish Hospital and Gross Medical College. He served as president of the Denver and Colorado medical societies. Publications in the collection by Dr. Levy are on medical education and on the effect of climate and...

Tillye Levy Papers

 Collection
Identifier: B260
Overview Tillye Shulman Levy was one of the Denver Jewish community’s most dedicated and effective volunteers. Born in Central City in 1895, she first became involved in philanthropic charity work as a young woman, after meeting Fannie Lorber, the longtime president of the Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children. As a teenager, Tillye worked at the Denver Trunk Factory in downtown Denver, located next door to the Lorber Shoe Company. Mrs. Lorber interested Tillye in the children and soon she was...