Showing Collections: 1 - 4 of 4
Overview Intentionaly created collection to keep newspaper clippings about Jews in the west. Some of the people and organizations are also in other collections. The articles contain miscellaneous clippings and articles about Jews in the Rocky Mountain west, primarily from the Rocky Mountain News, the Intermountain Jewish News (IJN) and the Denver Post. Some of the articles are from a column, "Out of the Past," written by Mike Zelinger that appeared in the IJN. Also included is the Century Edition of the...
Overview Frances Wisebart Jacobs, born in 1843, earned the nickname "Mother of Charities" because of her many efforts to assist the poor, the homeless, and the disenfranchised. She joined or helped to found charitable organizations and events in Denver, Colorado, and at the national level, and she was instrumental in raising support for the construction of Jewish Hospital in 1892. The collection consists of clothing that belonged to Jacobs and to a relative and contemporary of hers. Also...
Dates: 1882-1994; Majority of material found in 1882-1924
Overview Milt Morris was born in Cleveland in 1915 and his family moved to Denver to find a cure for his mother's asthma at National Jewish Hospital. He graduated from the University of Denver College of Law in 1939. Milt Morris served in the Army Air Force during World War II. He taught business law at DU for eleven years. He practiced law in Denver for many years and was a partner in Feder, Morris, Tamblyn and Goldstein where he specialized in real estate law. In 1941, Jean Wohlegarth married her...
Overview In 1899, the Jewish community erected National Jewish Hospital (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International Order of B'nai B'rith, the hospital served Jews and gentiles alike and accepted indigent patients free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, good nutrition, and rest. Some of the physicians associated with the hospital included Dr. Saling Simon, Dr. Robert Levy, and...
Dates: 1892 - 2018
- Names: Jacobs, Frances Wisebart, 1843-1892 X
- Denver (Colo.) 3
- Jews -- Colorado -- Denver 2
- Asthma -- Treatment 1
- Clippings (Books, newspapers, etc.) 1
- Colorado 1
- Jewish businesspeople 1
- Jewish families -- Colorado 1
- Jewish hospitals -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish lawyers -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish physicians -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish women -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish women philanthropists 1
- Jews -- Colorado -- Social life and customs 1
- Medical research personnel 1
- Patient records 1
- Periodicals 1
- Philanthropists 1
- Photographs 1
- Synagogues -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Tuberculosis -- Hospitals -- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Tuberculosis -- Patients 1
- Tuberculosis in children 1
- Women's clothing 1 ∧ less