Showing Collections: 1 - 7 of 7
Overview Abraham J. Kauvar graduated from the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado in 1935 and earned a Doctor of Medicine in 1939 from the University of Chicago. He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as director of...
Overview Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco...
Overview The Denver Chapter of Hadassah was organized in 1915. Hadassah is a Zionist organization that combine the Jewish emphasis on social welfare with the ideology of Zionism. The Denver Chapter continues to support Israel and to promote health awareness, education, and Zionist youth programs. The minutes, programs, publications, and scrapbooks and scrapbooks reflect the history of a Jewish women's organization with programs in Israel and Denver.
Overview The Jewish Labor Farband was a Yiddish socialist-Zionist Group in the United States. The Mile High section of the Farband, Yehoash branch number 303, was organized in 1913. Rabbi C. E. Kauvar was an active founding member the Farband branch first met in his house. The organization was inactive in the 1930s, but was resurrected in 1940. Farband was associated with the Zera Israel Congregation and supported progressive cause. Collection contains finanical ledgers, newsclippings, programs,...
Overview Collection consists of wedding dress worn by Leah Silverberg Eisen on her marriage to Samuel Eisen, Jr. January 23, 1921. The were married in Denver by Rabbi Kauvar.
Overview Rabbi Charles E. Hillel Kauvar was a rabbi for 69 years at the Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (The Great House of Learning) Synagogue in Denver, Colorado. He was also a professor of rabbinical literature at the University of Denver for 43 years and helped establish the Center for Judaic Studies at the University. After he retired from teaching, the University of Denver honored him by establishing a Kauvar Chair of Hebraic Studies. Rabbi Kauvar was born in Vilna, Lithuania in 1879 and began as rabbi...
Overview Collection contains the charter for the Order Sons of Zion Denver Chapter Subordinate Camp No. 32 established on March 10, 1911. The Order Sons of Zion was a Jewish Fraternal Organization based in New York City. The charter is a print done in back ink and blue. Image of an Angel over crowded streets and buildings pointing over an ocean toward Jerusalem and the Citadel of David, with a village and farmers below.
Dates: 1911 March 10
- Names: Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971 X
- Denver (Colo.) 4
- Jewish men -- Colorado -- Denver 3
- Zionism 3
- Synagogues -- Colorado -- Denver 2
- Aging 1
- Charity organization 1
- Charters and articles of incorporation 1
- Community organization 1
- Corporate minutes 1
- Decoration and ornament, Architectural 1
- Fraternal organizations 1
- Israel 1
- Jewish children 1
- Jewish families -- Colorado 1
- Jewish hospitals -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish physicians -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish women 1
- Jews -- Colorado -- Charities 1
- Jews -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Judaism 1
- Medical centers -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Orthodox Judaism 1
- Orthodox Judaism -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Palestine 1
- Publications 1
- Rabbis 1
- Records 1
- Socialism 1
- Stained glass windows 1
- Wedding costume 1 ∧ less