Showing Collections: 1 - 3 of 3
Overview Seraphine Eppstein Pisko was Executive-Secretary of National Jewish Hospital from 1911 to 1938. She was involved in both Jewish and secular social organizations, holding executive positions in the Hebrew Ladies' Benevolent Society, National Council of Jewish Women, and National Jewish Hospital. The collection, intentionally assembled by the Beck Archives, consists of papers providing biographical information about Pisko as well as letterhead and invitations from National Jewish Hospital and...
Overview Marianne Pisko Hausmann (1880-1969) was born in Vienna, Austria and studied at the Academy of the Austrian Museum of Art and Industry in Vienna. She moved to Denver in 1939 to join her daughter Margaret Grieg, an ophthamologist who had settled in Denver in 1938. Marianne was the niece of Denver Jewish pioneer Edward Pisko, who was elected a Colorado Territorial Representative in 1875. Her aunt by marriage, Seraphine Pisko, served as the executive director of National Jewish Hospital from...
Dates: circa 1910-1918
Overview In 1899, the Jewish community erected National Jewish Hospital (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International Order of B'nai B'rith, the hospital served Jews and gentiles alike and accepted indigent patients free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, good nutrition, and rest. Some of the physicians associated with the hospital included Dr. Saling Simon, Dr. Robert Levy, and...
Dates: 1892 - 2018
- Names: Pisko, Seraphine Eppstein, 1861-1942 X
- Jewish women -- Colorado -- Denver 2
- Jews -- Colorado -- Denver 2
- Asthma -- Treatment 1
- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Drawings (visual works) 1
- Hospital administrators -- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Immigrants -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish hospitals -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish physicians -- Colorado -- Denver 1
- Jewish women artists 1
- Jews -- Charities 1
- Medical research personnel 1
- Patient records 1
- Portraits 1
- Tuberculosis -- Hospitals -- Denver (Colo.) 1
- Tuberculosis -- Patients 1
- Tuberculosis in children 1 ∧ less