Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 15
Overview The Beck Archives Photograph Collection contains photographs, negatives, and other materials which reflect the rich, varied, and vibrant Jewish experience in the Rocky Mountain region, with a special emphasis on Colorado. It also contains some photographs from other states and countries.
Dates: 1790-2006; 1790 - 2006
Overview Charles Rosenbaum was born in Salem, Massachusetts on April 9, 1901 to Russian Jewish immigrants. The family moved to Denver in 1905, where his father died of tuberculosis. Charles Rosebaum peddled newspapers for the Rocky Mountain News when he was very young. He graduated from the University of Denver College of Law when he was twenty. Charles Rosenbaum was appointed as a distric court judge in Denver. He was named to the Intergovernmental Committee for European Migration in 1957 and was a...
Overview Ernest Morris was born in Thorn, Germany and came to the United States as a child. He graduated from the University of Colorado with degrees in philosophy and law. He was a board member of the Colorado Historical Association for two decades and was president from 1932 through 1936. His unpublished manuscript "Gathering Much" covers his early life and legal career. While he was chairman of the Denver County Council of Defense during WWI, he charged the Denver Post with libelous attacks. The case...
Overview Joseph Scher was born in Latvia in 1884 and died in Denver in 1969. He emigrated in 1904 and graduated from the University of Wisconsin with a BA degree in Sociology and Economics in 1913. Joseph Scher joined the Immigration Service in 1918 and was an investigator for 32 years. He married Rose Saperstein of Pennsylvania that same year. Their daughter Lillian Marie Scher Goodstein was born in Chicago in 1914 and graduated from the University of Chicago. She was a teacher and school librarian...
Overview The Hornbein family of Denver, Colorado, was actively involved in the Colorado Jewish and larger community. Philip L. Hornbein (1879-1962) married Flora Anfenger (1888-1964) in 1905, and they had three children: Louis (1907-1912), Marjorie (1913-2006) and Philip (1915-1987). The collections consists of material objects, photographs, and documents that belonged to the Hornbein family.
Scope and Contents Collection contains a photocopy of Diary of Jacob Lieberman from June 8, 1904 - April 23, 1905, a memo regarding J.J. Lieberman, 2 photocopies of ''J.J. Lieberman: A Guardian of Our People'' article from The Guardian (April 1989), 3 individual photocopies of newsclippings, 1 photocopy of The Bench and Bar of Colorado (1916), a 2003 draft of ''The Journey of Jacob Julius Lieberman: From Hungarian Immigrant to American Attorney'' by Jeanne Abrams, 1 letter to Jeanne from J.J. Lieberman's...
Overview Jack Greenwald was born June 14, 1928 in Columbus, Ohio, the youngest son of Rabbi Yekusiel Yehudah Greenwald (1888 - 1954). Rabbi Greenwald Rabbi Greenwald only knew German and had to learn Yiddish before he became rabbi of the Beth-Jacob Shul in Columbus, Ohio, a Yiddi. Jack Greenwald came to Denver, Colorado in 1946 and received his Bachelor of Science of Law, 1950, and his Juris Doctorate, 1952, both degrees from the University of Denver. Professionally, he specialized in the area of...
Dates: 1949 - 2012
Overview James Bernard Radetsky was born January 18, 1913 in Denver and grew up in an Orthodox Jewish home. The family ran a grocery store on Colfax and lived behind the store. James delivered groceries and sold newspapers to help support his family. He graduated from North High School in 1929, just shy of turning 16. He received a full scholarship to the University of Denver and later graduated from Westminster Night Law School in 1941. James was elected to the Colorado House of Representatives from...
Dates: Coverage: 1913-1989
Overview Milt Morris was born in Cleveland in 1915 and his family moved to Denver to find a cure for his mother's asthma at National Jewish Hospital. He graduated from the University of Denver College of Law in 1939. Milt Morris served in the Army Air Force during World War II. He taught business law at DU for eleven years. He practiced law in Denver for many years and was a partner in Feder, Morris, Tamblyn and Goldstein where he specialized in real estate law. In 1941, Jean Wohlegarth married her...
Overview The Fogel and Fallick families lived in both the West Side Jewish community and the East Side Jewish community in Denver, Colorado. The Fallick family attended the Romanian Shul and Nathan Fallick was a founder of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. Max and Ida Fogel’s children were Ladeen (Pluss), Marshall, and Helen Ruth (Mozer). After graduating from the University of Denver’s law school, Marshall Fogel became an assistant district attorney for Denver before entering private law practice....
Dates: Other: 1932-2010
- Subject: Jewish lawyers -- Colorado -- Denver X
- University of Denver. College of Law 4
- National Jewish Hospital (U.S.) 2
- Rosenbaum, Charles, 1901-1973 2
- Rosenbaum, Louise E. Michael, 1905-1996 2
- Anfenger, Milton L. (Milton Louis), 1874-1952 1
- Appel, Walter Michael, Sr., 1879-1961 1
- B'nai B'rith. Anti-defamation League. Mountain States Regional Office 1
- Barnum and Bailey 1
- Berman, Sam 1
- Bryan, William Jennings, 1860-1925 1
- Denver Bears (Baseball team) 1
- Denver Post 1
- Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children (1907-1927) 1
- East High School (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Elks (Fraternal order) 1
- Fogel, Ida, 1913-2011 1
- Fogel, Marshall 1
- Fogel, Max, 1909-1983 1
- Goodstein, Hyman A. 1
- Greenwald, Jack, 1928- 1
- Greenwald, Jekuthiel Judah, 1889-1955 1
- Guggenheim, Simon 1
- Hillel Academy (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Hoover, Herbert, 1874-1964 1
- Hornbein family 1
- Hornbein, Flora Anfenger, 1888-1964 1
- Hornbein, Louis, 1907- 1
- Hornbein, Marjorie, 1913-2006 1
- Hornbein, Philip, 1879-1962 1
- Hornbein, Philip, Jr., 1915-1987 1
- Independent Order of B'nai B'rith. Denver Lodge No. 171 (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Jacobs, Frances Wisebart, 1843-1892 1
- Jewish War Veterans of the United States of America 1
- Lieberman, Jacob Julius, 1913-1974 1
- Michael, Stella Anfenger, 1877-1948 1
- Miller, Micky (Myron Miller) 1
- Morris, Ernest, 1874-1937 1
- Morris, Jean Wohlgemuth , 1916-1999 1
- Morris, Milton, 1915-2007 1
- Radetsky, Beth Ellen 1
- Radetsky, James B. "Jimmy", 1913-1989 1
- Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society 1
- Rosenbaum, Alvin L., 1916-1943 1
- Rosenbaum, Stanton D. 1
- Rothgerber Johnson & Lyons LLP 1
- Rothgerber, Ira C., 1878-1956 1
- Rothgerber, Ira C., 1913-1993 1
- State Historical Society of Colorado 1
- United States. Army. Infantry 1
- United States. Army. Women's Army Corps 1
- University of Denver 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies. Ira M. Beck Memorial Collection of Rocky Mountain Jewish History 1
- Weinstein, Rowena Akers, 1911-2000 1
- Weinstein, Sam, 1912-1998 1 ∧ less