Skip to main content Skip to search results

Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 12

Beth David Sisterhood Articles of Incorporation

 Collection
Identifier: B280
Overview In 1926, Beth David Sisterhood was founded in an effort to create a new Hebrew school and Jewish social center for the West Colfax area of Denver, Colorado. The Beth David Hebrew School and Center met at the home of the Reverend and Mrs. Jacob Gordon at 1490 Julian Street. In November 1928, Beth David Sisterhood formed an alliance with Beth David Brotherhood and the Denver Hebrew Institute, and this group became known as the Hebrew Educational Alliance in 1929. The collection consists of the...

Beth haMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B125
Overview Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco...

Congregation Shearith Israel (Tenth Street Shul) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B139
Overview Congregation Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), or the Tenth Street Shul as it was also known, was founded in 1899 as a Jewish orthodox synagogue. The young congregation bought a small stone church in Denver at the Tenth Street site in 1903 and remodeled the building to suit its needs as a synagogue. The last of the operating synagogues in the "Old Colfax" area of Denver, Shearith Israel closed its doors in 1958, having been largely used by Jewish businessmen working in the...

Congregation Zera Israel Records and Scrapbooks

 Collection
Identifier: B298
Overview

Congregation Zera Israel (the Descendants of Israel) was organized on May 1, 1921 in a storefront, as a Lithuanian Orthodox synagogue. It was one of the Orthodox synagogues of West Denver. Rabbi Arthur L. Fine became the leader in 1979 and Morris B. Sapper and Julius Berger were presidents of the congregation. The collection contains Articles of Incorporation, Scrapbooks and Photographs, Events and Memorials.

Hillel Academy (Denver, Colo.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B165
Overview Hillel Academy of Denver is an orthodox Jewish day school (yeshiva ketana) in which religious and secular instruction takes place for preschool through 8th grade students. It was begun in 1953 and is part of a network of orthodox day schools in the United States. Collection contains meeting minutes, administrative notes, scrapbooks, Annual Dinner programs and appointment calendars from the Hillel Academy of Denver, Colorado from 1963 through 1990.

Jacob Gorden Papers

 Collection
Identifier: B281
Overview Collection contains correspondence, and notes related to Jacob Gorden from 1920, documents, and digitized photographs from circa 1900 to 1969..

Lillian Fogel Rubin Photograph Albums

 Collection
Identifier: B194
Overview Lillian Fogel Rubin was born in Denver, Colorado on August 17, 1922 to parents who came from Maczyv, Poland through Ellis Island in 1904. Her parents and aunts and uncles were Orthodox Jews. Lillian Fogel's mother belonged to the Sisterhood at the Hebrew Educational Alliance and the Auxiliaries of JCRS and Beth Israel Hospital. Lillian Fogel lived on the West Side of Denver until she married Herman Rubin in 1947 and they moved to Ogden, Utah. Lillian Rubin died in Ogden, Utah on March 24, 1997....

Ostrover Synagogue Records

 Collection
Identifier: B215
Overview The founders of the Ostrover Beth Jacob Synagogue in Denver, Colorado hailed from Ostrov, Poland. The congregation was formally organized in 1908 as Congregation Ostrover Beth Jacob. Their first building was erected on Clay Street, but the synaogogue was later relocated to Federal Blvd. when the congregants outgrew their building and the city built a viaduct over the first building. The congregation remained at Federal Boulevard until 1949, when they relocated to a modest brick building on...

Rabbi Stanley M. Wagner Papers

 Collection
Identifier: B224
Overview Stanley M. Wagner was born in 1932 in Brooklyn, New York and ordained at Yeshiva University. He was the spiritual leader of BMH-BJ from 1972-1997. He received 6 post graduate degrees, founded the University of Denver's Center for Judaic Studies in 1975, and co-founded the Mizel Museum of Judaica in 1982. 1970-1972, he was the executive vice-president of the religeous zionest (mizrachi). He was directory of the Center for Judaic Studies from 1975 until he retired in 2006. As part of the Center...

Rabbi Yehudah Idel Idelson Collection

 Collection
Identifier: B283
Overview Rabbi Yehuda Idel Idelson was born in Navardok, Lithuania in 1874 and married Hadassah Bloch in 1896. Rabbi Idelson arrived in Denver, Colorado in about 1901, an acclaimed Torah scholar and commentator, to become the rabbi at Congreation Tifereth Israel. The small synagogue was incorporated by Polish Jews in 1901 and was located under the Colfax Viaduct in the east European Jewish immigrant neighborhood. Rabbi Idelson’s wife Hadassah and their daughter Dora joined him later in Denver. Finding...