Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 11
Overview Rabbi Manuel Laderman was the first full-time spiritual leader at the Hebrew Educational Alliance, serving as Rabbi for 42 years and then as Rabbi Emeritus until his death in 1989. He was also the head of the City of Denver’s department of health and hospitals. Collection contains materials related to Rabbi Manuel Laderman including Ordinance No. 435 to name the new East wing of Denver General after Rabbi Laderman, dedication materials, news clippings, tributes, and posthumous memorials related...
Overview This collection contains materials related to Rabbi William S. Friedman and intentionally assembled by Special Collections and Archives, University Libraries. Friedman was the leader of Temple Emanuel (Denver, Colorado) from 1889 to 1939; he was involved in a number of religious and secular activities in the Denver community. He died in California in 1944 and is buried in Emanuel (Fairmount) Cemetery in Denver. Materials in the collection include newspaper clippings, correspondence, one...
Overview Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the...
Overview The Council of Orthodox Rabbis (Degel Harabanim) was a community organization consisting of Rabbis with a Heradi worldview. There were groups in multiple locations across the US. Collection contains the council of Orthodox Rabbis official seal.
Overview Rabbi Adelman was a member of the executive committee of the Rabbinical Council of America and in 1949 he was honored by Gov. Alfred Driscoll of New Jersey for his civil rights leadership. He came to BMH in Denver in 1957 ushering in a new era for the congregation focusing on civil rights, Soviet Jewry and disability rights. He also wrote a book of religious poetry. Collection contains a book by Rabbi Samuel Adelman, titled “Windows to My Soul” and a book in memorial to Rabbi Samuel Adelman,...
Overview Samuel Weil served as the rabbi of Congregation Emanuel in Denver, Colorado, in 1876-1877. He was only appointed under a 1 year contract and was granted a 6 month extension in March 1877. However, he was relieved of his duties due to "inadequacies" and remarks he made on June 1st which the board did not "countenance." The Weil family left Denver in December of 1877 after it was learned that the Rabbi had written to a Reverend in the Presbyterian Church proclaiming his belief in Jesus Christ...
Overview Stanley M. Wagner was born in 1932 in Brooklyn, New York and ordained at Yeshiva University. He was the spiritual leader of BMH-BJ from 1972-1997. He received 6 post graduate degrees, founded the University of Denver's Center for Judaic Studies in 1975, and co-founded the Mizel Museum of Judaica in 1982. 1970-1972, he was the executive vice-president of the religeous zionest (mizrachi). He was directory of the Center for Judaic Studies from 1975 until he retired in 2006. As part of the Center...
Overview Rabbi Yehuda Idel Idelson was born in Navardok, Lithuania in 1874 and married Hadassah Bloch in 1896. Rabbi Idelson arrived in Denver, Colorado in about 1901, an acclaimed Torah scholar and commentator, to become the rabbi at Congreation Tifereth Israel. The small synagogue was incorporated by Polish Jews in 1901 and was located under the Colfax Viaduct in the east European Jewish immigrant neighborhood. Rabbi Idelson’s wife Hadassah and their daughter Dora joined him later in Denver. Finding...
Overview The Radisnky family, Lithuania/East European inmmigrants, first settled on Denver's West Side in the 1890. Rabbi David Radinsky was the Rabbi of a small Mogen David synangogue orginally organized in his home. His son, Abraham David (A. D. Radinsky) started the A. D. Radinsky and Sons, Inc rag factory. Rabbi Collection contains photographs, artwork, ephemera, business cards, business catalogs and family papers related to the Radinsky family.
Overview Temple Sinai is a Reform Synagogue in Denver founded by Rabbi Raymond Zwerin in 1967. It is located at 3509 S. Glencoe Street. Collection contains slides, negatives, and architectural negatives from Temple Sinai. Several slides of Rabbi Zwerin from about age 3 on, Zwerin family photographs, photos of Temple events and construction.
- Subject: Rabbis -- Colorado -- Denver X
- Congregation Emanuel (Denver, Colo.) 2
- A. D. Radinsky and Sons, Inc. 1
- Adelman, Samuel, 1915-1966 1
- Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Tifereth Israel 1
- Council of Orthodox Rabbis (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Denver General Hospital 1
- Friedman, William S., 1868-1944 1
- Hebrew Educational Alliance (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Hornbein, Marjorie, 1913-2006 1
- Idelson, Dora 1
- Idelson, Yehudah Idel, 1874-1943 1
- Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.) 1
- Laderman, Manuel, 1909-1989 1
- Naster, Betty, 1921-2018 1
- Radinsky, A. D. (Abraham D.), 1877-1946 1
- Radinsky, Moses (Jack), 1902-1990 1
- TRI-Sulom (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Tannor, David 1
- Temple Sinai (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Twerski, B. C. Shloime, 1923-1981 1
- Twerski, Mordecai B. 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies 1
- Wagner, Stanley M. 1
- Weil, Samuel 1
- Zwerin, Raymond A., 1936- 1 ∧ less