Showing Collections: 1 - 10 of 13
Overview Louis Anfenger was typical of the young Jewish men who migrated to the Colorado Territory in the state's formative years. Born in Bavaria, Anfenger came to the United States in the 1850s and moved to Denver in 1870 to seek his fortune. He became a highly successful businessman in the area of real estate as well as a member of the Denver Chamber of Commerce and was later elected to the state legislature in the 1880s. He was a founder of Congregation Emanuel, Denver B'nai B'rith, and National...
Dates: Other: 1861-1989
Overview Intentionaly created collection to keep newspaper clippings about Jews in the west. Some of the people and organizations are also in other collections. The articles contain miscellaneous clippings and articles about Jews in the Rocky Mountain west, primarily from the Rocky Mountain News, the Intermountain Jewish News (IJN) and the Denver Post. Some of the articles are from a column, "Out of the Past," written by Mike Zelinger that appeared in the IJN. Also included is the Century Edition of the...
Overview Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco...
Overview Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the...
Overview Congregation Micah, the second Jewish Reform congregation in Denver, was started by members of Denver's Temple Emanuel who felt that their congregation had strayed from the principles taught by its former leader, Rabbi William Friedman. A number of individuals involved in the school's formation started a Reform Judaism congregation, which became incorporated in September 1956 as the Denver Congregation for Reform Judaism and changed its name to Congregation Micah in 1957. Congregation Micah...
Overview The large Glazerlach (Goldberg) family from Brest-Liovsk organized their own Chassidic (hasidic) congregation in 1885 in the home of Rabbi David Radinsky. The Congregation Mogen David (Shield of David), better know as the Glazerlach Shul, was housed in a brightly painted frame house on the west bank of the Platte River, next to Radinsky Rag factory. The location was prone to flooding and in the 1909 flood the synagogue was filled with eight feet of water. The Mogen David was one of two...
Dates: circa 1890
Overview Congregation Shearith Israel (Remnant of Israel), or the Tenth Street Shul as it was also known, was founded in 1899 as a Jewish orthodox synagogue. The young congregation bought a small stone church in Denver at the Tenth Street site in 1903 and remodeled the building to suit its needs as a synagogue. The last of the operating synagogues in the "Old Colfax" area of Denver, Shearith Israel closed its doors in 1958, having been largely used by Jewish businessmen working in the...
Overview The Judd Family papers trace the involvement of the Judd family in the construction industry which began with Abraham Judelowitz who arrived in Denver in the 1880s and was instrumental in the building of the first Beth haMedrosh (BMH) Synagogue. His son, Samuel Judd was born in Denver in 1892 and began as an architect and engineer at the Bureau of Reclamation in 1918. He selected sites and designed many large dams, including Hoover dam. He was the city planner for Boulder City, Nevada and...
Overview Rabbi Charles E. Hillel Kauvar was a rabbi for 69 years at the Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (The Great House of Learning) Synagogue in Denver, Colorado. He was also a professor of rabbinical literature at the University of Denver for 43 years and helped establish the Center for Judaic Studies at the University. After he retired from teaching, the University of Denver honored him by establishing a Kauvar Chair of Hebraic Studies. Rabbi Kauvar was born in Vilna, Lithuania in 1879 and began as rabbi...
- Subject: Synagogues -- Colorado -- Denver X
- Anfenger, Louis, 1842-1900 2
- Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol (Denver, Colo.) 2
- Congregation Emanuel (Denver, Colo.) 2
- Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (U.S.) 2
- Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971 2
- Anfenger family 1
- Anfenger, Louise Schlesinger, 1847-1938 1
- Anfenger, Milton L. (Milton Louis), 1874-1952 1
- Congregation Micah (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Mogan David 1
- Congregation Rodef Shalom (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Congregation Shearith Israel (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Denver Post 1
- Hillkowitz, Philip, 1873-1948 1
- Hornbein, Flora Anfenger, 1888-1964 1
- Hornbein, Marjorie, 1913-2006 1
- Intermountain Jewish News 1
- Jacobs, Frances Wisebart, 1843-1892 1
- Judd Construction Company 1
- Judd family 1
- Judd, E. James (Edmond James) 1
- Judd, Samuel, 1892-1971 1
- Judelovitz Family 1
- Judelovitz, Abrahm (Avram), 1866-1942 1
- Judelowitz Family 1
- Kauvar, Belle Bluestone 1
- Mears, Otto, 1840-1931 1
- Michael, Stella Anfenger, 1877-1948 1
- Naster, Betty, 1921-2018 1
- Radinsky, David 1
- Rinds, Fannie Anfenger, 1885-1965 1
- Rocky Mountain News 1
- Rubinoff, Michael W. 1
- Schwartz, Henry J. 1
- TRI-Sulom (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Temple Sinai (Denver, Colo.) 1
- Twerski, B. C. Shloime, 1923-1981 1
- Twerski, Mordecai B. 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies 1
- University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies. Ira M. Beck Memorial Archives (Beck Archives) 1
- Wagner, Stanley M. 1
- Zwerin, Raymond A., 1936- 1 ∧ less