Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Buildings

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Here are entered general works on structures or edifices. Works on the design and style of structures are entered under [Architecture.] Works on the process of construction are entered under [Building.]

Found in 5 Collections and/or Records:

Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00006
Overview A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...
Dates: circa 1914

Early Construction at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1920

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00046
Overview Construction of the original brick building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. C. D. Spivak sits far left and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz sits beside him. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1904-1920

Groundbreaking of Original Rotunda Hospital at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1908

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00045
Overview Groundbreaking ceremony of the original rotunda hospital on the campus of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Later this building became the National Council of Auxiliaries office building. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is pictured with the trowel and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is pictured to his left. Builder Abraham Judelowitz is standing to the right and wearing overalls. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen...
Dates: 1908

Laying Cornerstone of the New York Ladies Auxiliary Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1908

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0010.00001
Overview A group of people attend a ceremony for the laying of a cornerstone at the New York Ladies Auxiliary building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) on April 19, 1908. The building was a round, red brick building that housed the less contagious tuberculosis (TB) patients. Rabbi C. E. Kauvar, in a top hat, stands on one side of the cornerstone and Abraham Judelovitz, in coveralls, stands on the other side of the cornerstone. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz with no hat, stands to Rabbi Kauvar's...
Dates: 1908

Original Office of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1915

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0042.00001
Overview Interior view of the original administrative office of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) with Dr. Charles Spivak, and his associates. Spivak, center, sits at a desk with a photograph of his friend, the Yiddish poet Yehoash (Solomon Bloomgarden), in front of him. Business manager Ben Friedland talks on the telephone. An unidentified man sits in front, and an unidentified woman sits at left in the JCRS business office. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was...
Dates: circa 1915