Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Buildings

 Subject
Subject Source: Library of Congress Subject Headings
Scope Note: Here are entered general works on structures or edifices. Works on the design and style of structures are entered under [Architecture.] Works on the process of construction are entered under [Building.]

Found in 6 Collections and/or Records:

Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00006
Overview A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...
Dates: circa 1914

Dr. Charles Spivak's Gravestone, 1978

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0034.0010.00001
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak's gravestone. The stone says: ''Dr. Charles David Spivak, Dec. 25, 1861 - Oct. 16, 1927, Articulated skeleton willed to and preserved by the Hebrew University, Jerusalem Palestine.'' The inscription is repeated in Hebrew.
Dates: 1978

Early Construction at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1920

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00046
Overview Construction of the original brick building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. C. D. Spivak sits far left and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz sits beside him. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: between 1904-1920

Group in Front of the New York Ladies Pavilion at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1910-1919

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0007.00001
Overview A group of people stand in front of the New York Pavilion at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak is pictured in the front row, eighth from the right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanitorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.
Dates: 1910-1919

Original Office of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1915

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0042.00001
Overview Interior view of the original administrative office of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) with Dr. Charles Spivak, and his associates. Spivak, center, sits at a desk with a photograph of his friend, the Yiddish poet Yehoash (Solomon Bloomgarden), in front of him. Business manager Ben Friedland talks on the telephone. An unidentified man sits in front, and an unidentified woman sits at left in the JCRS business office. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was...
Dates: circa 1915

Steam Shovel and Group at Groundbreaking Ceremony, between 1920-1925

 Item
Identifier: B002.04.0215.0151.00001
Overview The participants in a groundbreaking ceremony on the campus of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) stand in front of a steam shovel. Two men and three women ride the scoop arm of the machine. Dr. Isadore Bronfin stands second from left and Dr. Charles Spivak stands in the middle to the right of an unidentified man holding a hand shovel. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish working men along with the support of...
Dates: between 1920-1925