Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 1 Collection or Record:
File — Box B135.01.0001: Series B135.01 [Barcode: U186020745971]
Abstract On July 13, 1884, Horrace Tabor conveyed property, as a gift, to "David May for the Benefit of the Congregation Israel." The congregation was organized primarily by Germanic Jews under the practice of Reform Judaism. The temple cost $4,000 to erect and was dedicated on September 19, 1884. A separate Jewish cemetery was also created. Of Leadville's population of 30,000 in the early 1800s, there were around around 300 Jewish residents. Many Jewish families in Leadville left after the silver...