Found in 21 Collections and/or Records:
A few Jewish merchants settled in Billings in 1884, but a community began only after 1900. Congregation Beth Aaron was formed in Billings in 1918. The Jewish population grew and declined mainly with the boom (1950s) and bust (1960's) of the oil business. By 1979, there were approx. 30-40 Jewish families in Billings.
Contains 6 folders of Minutes (1987-2011), 2 membership reports (1996-2011), and 2 membership lists (1987-1996), 2 staff retreats (1992-2000), 2 Board retreats (1992-2006) and correspondence (1991 and 2000).
Various materials related to the Commission on Social Action of Reform Judaism. The Commission on Social Action of Reform Judaism is a policy-development and leadership body, bringing the vision of Reform Judaism to issues of social justice.
The Sisterhood of Congregation Micah was a unit in the congregation until 1976. Membership declined during the 1960s and in 1976 the Congregation sold their buildings to the Mount Gilead Baptist Church and the Sisterhood ceased to exist. The collection primarily contains administrative and financial records, but also newsclippings, event materials, and recipes.
Head and shoulders portrait of Rabbi William S. Friedman wearing pince-nez glasses. Rabbi Friedman became the rabbi of Temple Emanuel in 1889 at the age of 21 and served until 1938. A graduate of Hebrew Union College and a leader in the movement of Reform Judaism, he specialized in classic oratory and maintained a high civic profile in Denver, Colorado. He was a founder of National Jewish Hospital and Community Chest, a nonsectarian charity organization.