Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the...
Overview On July 13, 1884, Horrace Tabor conveyed property, as a gift, to "David May for the Benefit of the Congregation Israel." The congregation was organized primarily by Germanic Jews under the practice of Reform Judaism. The temple cost $4,000 to erect and was dedicated on September 19, 1884. A separate Jewish cemetery was also created. Of Leadville's population of 30,000 in the early 1800s, there were around around 300 Jewish residents. Many Jewish families in Leadville left after the silver panic...
Dates: Other: 1884-1887
Overview Congregation Micah, the second Jewish Reform congregation in Denver, was started by members of Denver's Temple Emanuel who felt that their congregation had strayed from the principles taught by its former leader, Rabbi William Friedman. A number of individuals involved in the school's formation started a Reform Judaism congregation, which became incorporated in September 1956 as the Denver Congregation for Reform Judaism and changed its name to Congregation Micah in 1957. Congregation Micah...
Overview The Sisterhood of Congregation Micah was a unit in the congregation until 1976. Membership declined during the 1960s and in 1976 the Congregation sold their buildings to the Mount Gilead Baptist Church and the Sisterhood ceased to exist. The collection primarily contains administrative and financial records, but also newsclippings, event materials, and recipes.
Overview The Grossman family emigrated to America from the Austro-Hungarian Empire and moved to Denver because of tuberculosis. Abraham Grossman was an active member of the traditional Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) Synagogue and later of the Oheb Zedek Congregation which broke away from BMH in 1911. The Oheb Zedek Congregation rejoined the parent synagogue toward the end of the Great Depression. Abraham Grossman was the proprietor of the Grossman's Haberdashery, located on Sixteenth Street in Denver,...
Overview Founded in 1874, Temple Emanuel, also known as Congregation Emanuel, is the largest and oldest synagogue in the Rocky Mountain Region. The location at 16th and Pearl streets was dedicated in January of 1899 and served the congregation until they fully expanded into their current location on Grape Street in 1960. In 2006 the Pearl Street Temple was purchased by Denver Community Church. The building is a National Historic Site. Collection contains photographs, scrapbooks, administrative papers,...
Overview On July 23, 1883, twenty-nine Jews of Trinidad, Colorado met in the home of Sol Jaffe to organize a synagogue. They adopted the name of Congregation Aaron in honor of the Jaffe brothers’ (Sol, Henry, and Samuel) father. Samuel Jaffe, who became Trinidad’s first mayor, was chosen vice-president. In 1889, Rabbi Leopold Freudenthal, became the congregation’s second rabbi and served until his death in 1916. He gradually introduced moderate Reform Judaism. In addition to Jews from Trinidad, many...