Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

West Colfax (Denver, Colo.)

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 7 Collections and/or Records:

Beth Israel Dinner, 1959 March 01

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00067
Overview Sam Levenson, Adolf Kiesler, Rabbi Charles Kauvar and his wife seated at the Beth Israel Dinner on March 1, 1959. Beth Israel Hospital and Geriatric Center was founded in 1905 and was located on the west side of Denver at 16th and Lowell. Pictured are the Guldman and Dupler Buildings.

Board of Directors of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1930-1940

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0035.00030
Overview Board of Directors of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Seven men and one woman stand on the steps of a building. Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from the right and all others are unidentified. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00006
Overview A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...

Event at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1925

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00039
Overview An outdoor event at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Rabbi Kauvar is speaking to a large group of people. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

Groundbreaking of Original Rotunda Hospital at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, 1908

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0003.00045
Overview Groundbreaking ceremony of the original rotunda hospital on the campus of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Later this building became the National Council of Auxiliaries office building. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is pictured with the trowel and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is pictured to his left. Builder Abraham Judelowitz is standing to the right and wearing overalls. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen...

Newman Cowen Bed Dedication, after 1912

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0035.00019
Overview A bed dedication ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The bed was donated in memory of Newman Cowen. Left to right: Dr. Herman Schwatt, Rabbi Charles Kauvar, an unidentified man, and Dr. Charles Spivak. Rabbi Kauvar stands second from left holding a plaque that says: ''Newman Cowen, Dec. 30, 1831 - Jan. 15, 1912.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several...

Oral History Interview with Jennie Goldberg, 1982 March 10

 Item
Identifier: B098.01.0004.00089
Overview Major subjects covered in the interview include family immigrating to Denver form Poland, fathers’ grocery business, growing up in a Jewish family, schooling, charity work and religious life. Also talks about Rabbi Kauvar.