Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

West Colfax (Denver, Colo.)

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 36 Collections and/or Records:

Bed Dedication Ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1904-1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00038
Overview A bed dedication ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Charles Spivak is pictured in the center, to the left of the man holding a plaque and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz is to the right of the man holding the plaque. The dedication appears to be conducted on a stage. A large American flag is hung up behind the group of people surrounding the bed. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with...

Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary Bed Dedication, after 1917

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0035.00017
Overview A bed dedication ceremony at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary donated the bed pictured. Dr. Charles Spivak stands in the back to the right and Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands in back center. An unidentified woman holds a plaque that reads: ''Cleveland Ladies Auxiliary, J.C.R.S., 1917.'' The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading...

Cornerstone of New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, circa 1914

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00006
Overview A group of people at the cornerstone ceremony for the New York Building at the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The engraved cornerstone that says: ''Erected by the New York Ladies' Auxiliary. J.C.R.S., 5674, 1914'' is being placed. Dr. Philip Hillkowitz stands center left, Dr. Charles Spivak stands center, and Rabbi Charles Kauvar stands second from right. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along...

Dinner Event, between 1900-1920

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00043
Overview An unknown dinner event. Tables are set up with food and drink and there are a large number of people throughout the room. Dr. C. D. Spivak stands in the back left of center and Louis Robinson stands in back fourth from right.

Dr. and Mrs. Isidor Bronfin with Dr. Spivak, between 1904-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00002
Overview Dr. Isidor Bronfin and his wife with Dr. Charles Spivak and a group of unidentified people. Dr. Bronfin and his wife are on the left and Dr. Spivak is holding his hat near the center of the photograph. Mr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Isidor Bronfin was a physician and tuberculosis specialist with the JCRS. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support...

Dr. Charles D. Spivak of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1915-1927

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00052
Overview Dr. Charles D. Spivak standing on the front steps of a building while smoking a cigarette. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) and served as Medical Director and Superintendent until his death in 1927. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside...

Dr. Charles Spivak and Dr. Isidor Bronfin, between 1920-1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00031
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak holding the door open for Dr. Isidore Bronfin. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). Dr. Bronfin served as superintendent of the JCRS and National Jewish Hospital. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

Dr. Charles Spivak at His Desk With Dictaphone, between 1915-1923

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0036.00030
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak sits at his desk and speaks into a dictaphone. Dr. Spivak was a founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS). The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. The sanatorium was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside of Denver.

Dr. Charles Spivak at JCRS, circa 1928

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0019.00067
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak, founder of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) stands with his hands in his pockets. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. It was located on West Colfax Avenue just outside Denver.

Dr. Charles Spivak of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society, between 1920-1929

 Item
Identifier: B063.03.0011.00054
Overview Dr. Charles Spivak, executive secretary of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS), standing between two women. One of the women may be Mrs. Barnett, while the other remains unknown. The JCRS was a sanatorium for tuberculosis patients that was founded in 1904 by a group of immigrant Jewish workingmen along with the support of several leading physicians and rabbis in Denver, Colorado. Dr. Spivak served as executive secretary from 1904 until his death in 1929.