Jews -- Colorado -- Social life and customs
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 13 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Intentionaly created collection to keep newspaper clippings about Jews in the west. Some of the people and organizations are also in other collections. The articles contain miscellaneous clippings and articles about Jews in the Rocky Mountain west, primarily from the Rocky Mountain News, the Intermountain Jewish News (IJN) and the Denver Post. Some of the articles are from a column, "Out of the Past," written by Mike Zelinger that appeared in the IJN. Also included is the Century Edition of the...
The collection contains materials intentionally assembled by Beck Archives that are associated with Jewish communities in the western United States and Mexico. The bulk of the material is related to various towns in Colorado.
Overview Collection contains documents, publications, and ephemera intentionally assembled by Beck Archives. A letter from Dr. Sigmund Freud is in the collection. In the letter he mentions that he was supposed to named after his grandfather Solomon, but the registrar of names mixed up the first and second names.
Overview Collection contains records from various Jewish organizations from around the Denver area from 1880-2007. Organizations include: American Medical Center (1965); Public Attitude Toward Minorities (1948); Beth Jacob High School (1974-79); Cheltenhamm School (1924-25); Denver Academy Torah (1963-94); Free Loan Society (1888-1901); Holocaust Institute (1982-1987); Jews for Jesus (1972-1975); Jewish War Veterans (1916-1951); Jewish Women and Benevolent Societies in Denver (1872-1908); Kauvar Chair...
Overview The Center was founded by Rabbi C. E. Kauvar and Rabbi Stanley Wagner at the University of Denver. Collection contains correspondence and administrative records from the Center of Judaic Studies from 1975-1988.
Overview Edward Silverberg was born in 1894 in Denver, Colorado and graduated from Colorado College of Dental Surgery. After serving in the army during World War I, he began his dental practice in Denver, where he was affectionately known as "Dr. Ed." He also served in World War II and was retired as a colonel in 1954. He worked actively in the Reserve Officers Association. He volunteered in many charitable and community organizations, including B'nai B'rith, Ex-Patients Home, and was a founder and...
Overview Green Gables Country Club was the suburban successor of the Progress Club (1885-1929). The club was founded by 8 Jewish business men because Jews were often denied membership to similar organizations. The historic club became a social center for Denver’s well-to-do Jewish Community. It sat on 152-acres at 6800 W. Jewell Ave., unincorporated land next to Lakewood. Financially difficulties and declining membership closed the club in 2011 and the land sold to a housing developer for $15 million....
Overview The Grossman family emigrated to America from the Austro-Hungarian Empire and moved to Denver because of tuberculosis. Abraham Grossman was an active member of the traditional Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) Synagogue and later of the Oheb Zedek Congregation which broke away from BMH in 1911. The Oheb Zedek Congregation rejoined the parent synagogue toward the end of the Great Depression. Abraham Grossman was the proprietor of the Grossman's Haberdashery, located on Sixteenth Street in Denver,...
Overview The Intermountain Jewish News (IJN) is a weekly newspaper serving the Denver-Boulder communities and the greater Rocky Mountain Jewish community (Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming, Utah, and Montana). The newspaper was founded in 1913 and had a series of editors before being taken over by Robert Gamzey and Max Goldberg in 1943. Since then the newspaper has been owned and operated by the Goldberg family. Max Goldberg served as publisher from 1943-1972 and Miriam Harris Goldberg served as editor and...
Overview Pueblo, Colorado's Jewish community really solidified in 1886 with the founding of the Hebrew Benevolent Union although Jews had been in Pueblo since the 1870s. The first congregation was started in 1895. In 1900, Temple Emanuel, a reform temple was built and the orthodox later incorporated as B'nai Jacob. In 1950, the United Hebrew Center was formed. Over the century a once sizable Jewish population has dwindled. Temple Emanuel still operates today with about 30 families....