Jewish hospitals -- Colorado -- Denver
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Brief biographies of Jewish women from Colorado who help set up as well as work in charitable orgnazitions in Colorado. Written and directed by Jeanne Abrams for the 2004 RMJHS Dinner.
Overview Abraham J. Kauvar graduated from the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado in 1935 and earned a Doctor of Medicine in 1939 from the University of Chicago. He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as...
Overview Rolled canvas print of an aerial photograph of the AMC campus with "American Medical Center Denver" in large letters across image. Campus is surrounded by farmland in the photograph. Canvas has wooden dowel at top and one at bottom; top dowel has two rings for hanging.
Overview In 1954 Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) changed its mission to cancer research and became the American Medical Center and later known as the AMC Cancer Research Center. AMC completely merged with the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 2014. Collection contains board of trustee's minutes, committee minutes, reports, AMC By-laws, name plates, posters, publications, programs, photographs, and scrapbooks related to the AMC Cancer Research Center from 1957 through 2012....
Overview Louis Anfenger was typical of the young Jewish men who migrated to the Colorado Territory in the state's formative years. Born in Bavaria, Anfenger came to the United States in the 1850s and moved to Denver in 1870 to seek his fortune. He became a highly successful businessman in the area of real estate as well as a member of the Denver Chamber of Commerce and was later elected to the state legislature in the 1880s. He was a founder of Congregation Emanuel, Denver B'nai B'rith, and National...
Overview Asherman was a longtime volunteer for NJH, beginning when she joined the New York Auxiliary Chapter of the National Home for Jewish Children. She later became president of the axillary, and then as a national auxiliary board member and trustee. She helped establish 17 auxiliary chapters in New York. Collection contains photographs, correspondence, journals and newsletters related to Bea Asherman from 1924 through 1998.
Overview Dr. Jeanne Abrams of the Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society of the Center for Judaic Studies collected materials of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society separate from the JCRS Records. Collection contains a draft of "The Origins of Denver's JCRS" by Dr. Charles Spivak, newspaper articles, issues of patients' magazine Hatikvah, contribution forms, "Thirty Years of Saving Lives" history of JCRS sanitorium, JCRS programs and pamphlets and, books related JCRS from 1900 through 1982.
Scope and Contents This series contains a photo album, photographs, bulletin pages, drawings, lithographs, and contact sheets of the campus and buildings, patients and family, staff and volunteers, auxiliaries and conventions, and activities connected with the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society and the AMC Cancer Research Center.
Overview The Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society was known as the JCRS and was founded in Denver, Colorado in 1904 as a non-sectarian sanatorium to treat tuberculosis (TB) patients, free of charge, in all stages of the disease. The society was one of the leading tuberculosis sanatoria in the country at the turn of the century founded by a group of immigrant Eastern European Jewish men, many of whom were themselves victims of TB. Headed by Dr. Charles Spivak as Secretary (1904-1927) and by Dr. Philip...