Jewish hospitals -- Colorado -- Denver
Subject Source: Local sources
Found in 12 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Abraham J. Kauvar graduated from the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado in 1935 and earned a Doctor of Medicine in 1939 from the University of Chicago. He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as...
Overview In 1954 Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) changed its mission to cancer research and became the American Medical Center and later known as the AMC Cancer Research Center. AMC completely merged with the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center in 2014. Collection contains board of trustee's minutes, committee minutes, reports, AMC By-laws, name plates, posters, publications, programs, photographs, and scrapbooks related to the AMC Cancer Research Center from 1957 through 2012....
Dates: Other: 1904-2012
Overview Louis Anfenger was typical of the young Jewish men who migrated to the Colorado Territory in the state's formative years. Born in Bavaria, Anfenger came to the United States in the 1850s and moved to Denver in 1870 to seek his fortune. He became a highly successful businessman in the area of real estate as well as a member of the Denver Chamber of Commerce and was later elected to the state legislature in the 1880s. He was a founder of Congregation Emanuel, Denver B'nai B'rith, and National...
Dates: Other: 1861-1989
Overview Asherman was a longtime volunteer for NJH, beginning when she joined the New York Auxiliary Chapter of the National Home for Jewish Children. She later became president of the axillary, and then as a national auxiliary board member and trustee. She helped establish 17 auxiliary chapters in New York. Collection contains photographs, correspondence, journals and newsletters related to Bea Asherman from 1924 through 1998.
Overview Dr. Jeanne Abrams of the Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society of the Center for Judaic Studies collected materials of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society separate from the JCRS Records. Collection contains a draft of "The Origins of Denver's JCRS" by Dr. Charles Spivak, newspaper articles, issues of patients' magazine Hatikvah, contribution forms, "Thirty Years of Saving Lives" history of JCRS sanitorium, JCRS programs and pamphlets and, books related JCRS from 1900 through 1982.
Overview The Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society was known as the JCRS and was founded in Denver, Colorado in 1904 as a non-sectarian sanatorium to treat tuberculosis (TB) patients, free of charge, in all stages of the disease. The society was one of the leading tuberculosis sanatoria in the country at the turn of the century founded by a group of immigrant Eastern European Jewish men, many of whom were themselves victims of TB. Headed by Dr. Charles Spivak as Secretary (1904-1927) and by Dr. Philip...
Dates: 1897-1989; Majority of material found within 1904-1973
Overview Collection contains scrapbooks, programs, newspaper clippings, plaques, a U.S. Bureau of Customs flag, awards, scrolls and posters related to John E. Streltzer. Humanitarian John E. Streltzer was born in Denver on June 2, 1901, the son of Ben and Rebecca Streltzer in Denver's West Side. He met Sarah Safran in 1923 at a club he had helped organize on the West Side. John and Sarah Streltzer established a wholesale office supply business and he served nearly three terms as a member of...
Overview In 1899, the Jewish community erected National Jewish Hospital (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International Order of B'nai B'rith, the hospital served Jews and gentiles alike and accepted indigent patients free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, good nutrition, and rest. Some of the physicians associated with the hospital included Dr. Saling Simon, Dr. Robert Levy, and...
Dates: 1892 - 2018