Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver (1953-1956)

 Organization

The National Asthma Center (NAC) (1973-1978) had a series of names: the Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children (1907-1927), National Home for Jewish Children in Denver (1928-1952), Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver (JNHAC) (1953-1956), and the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (CARIH) (1957-1972). NAC was an independent institution from 1907 until 1978, when it merged with National Jewish Hospital to form the National Jewish Hospital and Research Center/National Asthma Center. The NAC campus in west Denver at 19th and Julian Streets sold in 1981. During the last part of the nineteenth century, Denver, Colorado, became a haven for those suffering from tuberculosis, "the white plague." However, no formal medical treatment facilities existed until the opening of the National Jewish Hospital (NJH) in 1899. Five years later, the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) began treating patients with advanced cases of tuberculosis. A Denver housewife, Fannie Lorber, became concerned about the plight of Jewish children left homeless by a parent's hospitalization or orphaned by a parent's death at NJH or JCRS. In 1907, she and her friends Bessie Willens and Sadie Francis organized other local East European immigrant women and founded the Denver Sheltering Home. For the next 51 years, Fannie Lorber presided over the volunteer board of the Home and was the driving force behind fundraising efforts. At first, funded entirely by the Denver Jewish Community, the Home's expansion eventually led to a system of fundraising Ladies' Auxiliaries throughout the United States. The Home initially sheltered only orphaned or neglected children of tuberculosis victims, but it soon expanded its mission to help combat delinquency among Denver's Jewish children. An arrangement was made with Judge Ben B. Lindsey to send first offenders to the Home rather than to a detention center. (Judge Lindsey created the Colorado Juvenile Court system.) The Home also began taking in orphaned and needy children from other cities, and by 1920, approximately 100 children were living on the expanded campus. The Home's founders aimed to provide a cultured, stimulating, and Jewish environment for the children that was as close to family life as possible, unlike most orphanages of the period. In 1939 the Home instituted the long-term residential treatment of children with intractable asthma. In the 1950s, medical, psychiatric, and research personnel were added to treat children with asthma and allergies. In 1951, Dr. Allan Hurst became the first full-time medical director, and Jack Gershtenson became the administrator, a position he held for nearly thirty years. The Home officially became a non-sectarian in 1953. Dr. Murray Pershkin, chief consultant to the home from 1940 until 1959, advocated '"parentectomy,"' the removal of the child from his or her home for up to two years. In 1957, the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital was created. At the time, it was the only research facility in the country dedicated to asthma and allergic diseases. In 1966, Drs. Kimishige and Taruko Ishizaka, a husband and wife research team at CARIH, discovered immunoglobin E, the physiological basis for asthma. In 1972, CARIH became the National Asthma Center. By the 1970s, National Jewish Hospital had gone from treating tuberculosis to treating a broader range of respiratory diseases, including asthma. It was decided in 1978 that a merger of the two institutions would be beneficial. Patients remained at the NAC campus until 1981, when it was closed. Fannie Lorber was president from 1907 to 1958, Arthur Lorber was president from 1958 to 1975, and Charles M. Schayer was president from 1975 to 1978.

Found in 1538 Collections and/or Records:

1963 N.S.A.C. Report, 1963

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0036.0015
Overview Correspondence related to the 1963 N.S.A.C. Report to the Board of Trustees, summary of action taken on recommendations of the AD HOC Advisory Committee
Dates: 1963

1964 Mailing Schedule, 1964

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0011.0017
Overview 1964 mailing schedule
Dates: 1964

1965 N.S.A.C. Report, 1965

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0036.0014
Overview Correspondence related to the 1965 N.S.A.C. Report to the Board of Trustees, comments on report
Dates: 1965

1967 N.S.A.C. Report, 1967

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0036.0013
Overview Correspondence related to the 1967 N.S.A.C. Report to the Board of Trustees
Dates: 1967

1969 N.S.A.C. Report, 1969

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0036.0012
Overview Correspondence related to the 1969 N.S.A.C. Report to the Board of Trustees
Dates: 1969

1969 Women's Division Delegates, 1969 September 28-October 1

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0023.0010
Overview Correspondence related to delegates in the Women's Divison
Dates: 1969 September 28-October 1

1971 N.S.A.C. Report, 1980-1982

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0036.0011
Overview Correspondence related to the 1971 N.S.A.C. Report to the Board of Trustees
Dates: 1980-1982

1973 N.S.A.C. Report, 1980-1982

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0036.0010
Overview Correspondence related to the 1973 N.S.A.C. Report to the Board of Trustees, memorandums from the Harvard Medical School Robert B. Brigham Hospital; preliminary, condensed report from National Scientific Advisory Council
Dates: 1980-1982

1975 N.S.A.C Report, 1980-1982

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0036.0008
Overview The Report to the National Jewish Hospital and Research Center of the National Scientific Advisory Council pertaining its 1975 visit, and additional correspondence regarding the report
Dates: 1980-1982

1976 NJH Open, 1976

 File
Identifier: B005.01.0034.0013
Overview materials related to the 1976 NJH Open and fundraisers, financial statements
Dates: 1976