National Asthma Center Records
The National Asthma Center (NAC) existed under a series of names. It was founded in 1907 by Fannie Lorber as the Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children; from 1928-1952, it was called the National Home for Jewish Children in Denver; from 1953-1956, it was the Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver; from 1957-1972, it was the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (CARIH); and from 1973-1977, it was the National Asthma Center. In 1978, it merged with the National Jewish Hospital to become the National Jewish Hospital and Research Center/National Asthma Center. It evolved from sheltering home for tuberculosis "orphans" to become a residential treatment facility for children with intractable asthma and a research hospital. The National Asthma Center records include the By-laws, correspondence, memorandums, newspaper clippings, meeting minutes, publications, charts, speeches, financial statements, photographs and miscellaneous materials.
- Majority of material found within 1950-1982
- National Asthma Center (U.S.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
The collection is primarily in English, but there is some material in Hebrew and Yiddish.
Biographical / Historical
The National Asthma Center (NAC) had a series of names: the Denver Sheltering Home, National Home for Jewish Children in Denver, Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver (JNHAC), and the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (CARIH). NAC was an independent institution from 1907 until 1978, when it merged with National Jewish Hospital. The NAC campus in west Denver at 19th and Julian Streets was sold in 1981. During the last part of the nineteenth century, Denver, Colorado became a haven for those suffering from tuberculosis, "the white plague." However, no formal medical treatment facilities existed until the opening of National Jewish Hospital (NJH) in 1899. Five years later the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society (JCRS) began treating patients with advanced cases of tuberculosis. A Denver housewife, Fannie Lorber, became concerned about the plight of Jewish children left homeless by a parent's hospitalization or orphaned by a parent's death at NJH or JCRS. In 1907, she and her friends Bessie Willens and Sadie Francis organized other local East European immigrant women and founded the Denver Sheltering Home. For the next 51 years, Fannie Lorber presided over the volunteer board of the Home and was the driving force behind fundraising efforts. At first funded entirely by the Denver Jewish Community, the home's expansion eventually led to a system of fundraising Ladies' Auxiliaries throughout the United States. The Home originally sheltered only orphaned or neglected children of tuberculosis victims, but it soon expanded its mission to help combat delinquency among Denver's Jewish children. An arrangement was made with Judge Ben B. Lindsey to send first offenders to the home rather than to a detention center. (Judge Lindsey created the Colorado Juvenile Court system.) The Home also began taking in orphaned and needy children from other cities, and by 1920, approximately 100 children were living on the expanded campus. The aim of the home's founders was to provide a cultured, stimulating, and Jewish environment for the children that was as close to family life as possible, unlike most orphanages of the period. In 1939 the home instituted the long-term residential treatment of children with intractable asthma. In the 1950s medical, psychiatric, and research personnel were added to treat children with asthma and allergies. In 1951, Dr. Allan Hurst became the first full-time medical director and Jack Gershtenson became the administrator, a position he held for nearly thirty years. The home officially became non-sectarian in 1953. Dr. Murray Pershkin, chief consultant to the home from 1940 until 1959, advocated '"parentectomy,"' the removal of the child from his or her home for up to two years. In 1957, the Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital was created. At the time it was the only research facility in the country dedicated to asthma and allergic diseases. In 1966, Drs. Kimishige and Taruko Ishizaka, a husband and wife research team at CARIH, discovered immunoglobin E, the physiological basis for asthma. In 1972, CARIH became the National Asthma Center. By the 1970s National Jewish Hospital had gone from treating tuberculosis to treating a broader range of respiratory diseases, including asthma. It was decided in 1978 that a merger of the two institutions would be beneficial. Patients remained at the NAC campus until 1981, when it was closed. Fannie Lorber was president from 1907 to 1958, Arthur Lorber was president from 1958 to 1975, and Charles M. Schayer was president from 1975 to 1978.
20 Linear Feet (28 containers)
Scope and Contents
The National Asthma Center Records include the By-laws of the organization, meeting minutes, correspondence, memorandums, charts, speeches, financial statements, newspaper clippings, publications, photographs, and miscellaneous material. The materials document the volunteer efforts that went into creating NAC, including the part played by Fannie Lorber, and the problems as well as the accomplishments of this charitable organization. The materials also illuminate the changing medical philosophy and practices in the treatment of tuberculosis and asthma.
This collection is arranged into fourteen series: 1. Minutes and Related Materials, 1937-1981. 2. Fannie Lorber's Records, 1922-1958. 3. Correspondence, 1908-1939, 1979. 4. Historical Background Material, 1907-1983.; 5. Legal and Financial Records, 1907-1979.; 6. Publications and Reports, 1949-1979. 7. Auxiliaries, 1927-1981. 8: Medical Administrators' Records, 1940-1980. 9: Jack Gershtenson's Records, 1969-1981. 10. Dudley Solomon's Records, 1960-1979. 11. Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital and National Asthma Center, 1950-1980. 12. Photographs, 1940-1979. 13. Scrapbooks, 1927-1981. 14. National Home for Jewish Children Reunion, 1979-2000.
Immediate Source of Acquisition
Gift of the National Jewish Medical and Research Center, 2005 September 22.
No further accruals are expected.
- Asthma -- Treatment
- Children's Asthma Research Institute and Hospital (Denver, Colo.)
- Corporate minutes
- Denver (Colo.)
- Denver Sheltering Home for Jewish Children
- Jewish National Home for Asthmatic Children in Denver
- Lorber, Fannie E. (Fannie Eller), 1881-1958
- Medical centers
- National Asthma Center (U.S.)
- National Home for Jewish Children in Denver
- National Jewish Hospital and Research Center/National Asthma Center (U.S.) (1978-1985)
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description