National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives (U.S.)
Found information from National Jewish Medical and Research Center, Nov. 15, 2001 (name changed 1997 to National Jewish Medical and Research Center; History of name changes: National Jewish Hospital (1899-1924--National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives; 1925-1964--National Jewish Hospital at Denver; 1965-1977--National Jewish Hospital and Research Center; after National Asthma Center merged with National Jewish, 1978-1985--National Jewish Hospital/National Asthma Center; 1986-1996--National Jewish Center for Immunology and Respiratory Medicine; 1997-2008 -- National Jewish Medical and Research Center; July 2008- National Jewish Health).
Found in 4 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Delegates to the 59th Annual Convention of the Internation Order of B'nai B'rith are posed in front of the Guggenheim Pavilion at National Jewish Hospital. The men in suits and the women in dresses and hats are standing and sitting in five rows. Other buildings can be seen in the background. Six men are watching behind a brick wall to the left of the building.The convention was held in Denver in June 1911.
Dates: 1911 June
Overview The folder include photocopies of the 1899-1900 and 1900-1901 Jewish Year Book entries for Seraphine Pisko as president of the Hebrew Ladies' Benevolent Society and president of the Jewish Relief Society, a photocopy of a Denver Times newspaper clipping about Seraphine Pisko's fundraising efforts for National Jewish Hospital (1901), a photocopy of her obituary in the Rocky Mountain News (1942), and a facsimile transcription of a speech (circa 1931) written to honor her at an anniversary party...
Dates: between 1900-1942
Overview Seraphine Eppstein Pisko was Executive-Secretary of National Jewish Hospital from 1911 to 1938. She was involved in both Jewish and secular social organizations, holding executive positions in the Hebrew Ladies' Benevolent Society, National Council of Jewish Women, and National Jewish Hospital. The collection, intentionally assembled by the Beck Archives, consists of papers providing biographical information about Pisko as well as letterhead and invitations from National Jewish Hospital and...
Overview In 1899, the Jewish community erected the non-sectarian National Jewish Hospital for Consumptives (NJH), the first sanatorium in Denver, Colorado, for tuberculosis victims. With the financial assistance of the International B'nai B'rith fraternal organization, patients from all over the U.S. were admitted free of charge. The NJH adopted a program that emphasized the benefits of fresh air, proper nutrition, and rest. The hospital was founded by a group of Jewish residents of Denver who were of...