Beth David Sisterhood (Denver, Colo.)
Incorporated June 12, 1930.
Found in 3 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract In 1926, Beth David Sisterhood was founded in an effort to create a new Hebrew school and Jewish social center for the West Colfax area of Denver, Colorado. The Beth David Hebrew School and Center met at the home of the Reverend and Mrs. Jacob Gordon at 1490 Julian Street. In November 1928, Beth David Sisterhood formed an alliance with Beth David Brotherhood and the Denver Hebrew Institute, and this group became known as the Hebrew Educational Alliance in 1929. The collection consists of the...
Abstract The Hebrew Educational Alliance was founded in 1932 and became the largest congregation on Denver's west side. The Hebrew Educational Alliance was created as a result of the ''alliance'' between the Beth David Hebrew School Sisterhood and Brotherhood, and the Denver Hebrew Institute. The combined synagogue and Hebrew School was organized along Orthodox lines. On October 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived in Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. In 1994,...
Abstract Jacob and Charlotte Gordon stand in front of a building. In front of them are their daughters, Bess (with a large bow), Baila, and Eleanor. A son born later is not shown in the photograph. Jacob, a schohet (a kosher slaughterer in the Jewish tradition), Talmudic scholar, and later a mohel (one who performs the ritual circumcision), migrated to Denver, Colorado, in 1914 from Russia to join his uncle, Velvel Heller. By 1917 Jacob Gordon saved enough to bring his wife and daughter Bess from Russia...
Dates: circa 1920