Skip to main content

Hebrew Educational Alliance Records

 Collection
Identifier: B159

The Hebrew Educational Alliance was founded in 1932 and became the largest congregation on Denver's west side. The Hebrew Educational Alliance was created as a result of the ''alliance'' between the Beth David Hebrew School Sisterhood and Brotherhood, and the Denver Hebrew Institute. The combined synagogue and Hebrew School was organized along Orthodox lines. On October 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived in Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. In 1994, the Alliance affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism. The HEA collection shows the history of a synagogue and school that continues to serve Jewish families in Denver.

Dates

  • 1940-2007

Creator

Extent

2.5 Linear Feet (record box and flat box 16x12x3 inches)

6.25 Linear Feet ((3 containers) (3 containers) record box, flat box 15x12x3 inches and one folder in a map drawer)

Scope and Contents

The collection primarily consists anniversary dinners and dedication publications. There is also information on anti-Semitic vandalism that occurred in 1988 and on the Sunday school.

Biographical / Historical

The Hebrew Educational Alliance stemed from a movement in the 1920s to build a community center in Denver's west side. The original building was at West Colfax and Meade Street. The Alliance was founded in 1932 and became the largest congregation on Denver's west side. The Hebrew Educational Alliance was created as a result of the ''alliance'' between the Beth David Hebrew School Sisterhood and Brotherhood, and the Denver Hebrew Institute. The combined synagogue and Hebrew School was organized along Orthodox lines. The first president was William Yoelin and on October 25, 1932, Rabbi Manuel Laderman arrived in Denver to serve as the first Rabbi of the Hebrew Educational Alliance. When the Alliance moved into a new building at 1555 Stuart Street in 1953, the original building became the Golden West Nursing Home. In 1994, the Alliance affiliated with the United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism.

Arrangement

These records are arranged in four series: 1. Vandalism, 1988; 2. Publications, 1942-2007; 3. Material Culture, 1940; 4. Sunday School and Background Information, 1945-1952.

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428