Green Gables Country Club
Located in Lakewood, Colorado from 1928-2016. From “A Guide to the Jewish Rockies” by Amy Shapiro, “the suburban successor to the Progress Club, which hosted Denver Jewry’s most important social events from its founding in 1885 until 1929, when B’nai B’rith bought its in-town clubhouse, Green Gables…” The Progress Club originally purchased 6800 W. Jewell Ave, Denver, CO 80226 for $75,000 in 1930.
Found in 2 Collections and/or Records:
Abstract Green Gables Country Club was the suburban successor of the Progress Club (1885-1929). The club was founded by 8 Jewish business men because Jews were often denied membership to similar organizations. The historic club became a social center for Denver’s well-to-do Jewish Community. It sat on 152-acres at 6800 W. Jewell Ave., unincorporated land next to Lakewood. Financially difficulties and declining membership closed the club in 2011 and the land sold to a housing developer for $15 million....
Abstract Henry Frankel's family came from Europe and settled early in Denver. They had a few bussinesses. They owned Growth and Progress club and Green Gables Country Club. They were members of Temple Emanuel.
Dates: 1977 November 7