The Judd Family papers trace the involvement of the Judd family in the construction industry which began with Abraham Judelowitz who arrived in Denver in the 1880s and was instrumental in the building of the first Beth haMedrosh (BMH) Synagogue. His son, Samuel Judd was born in Denver in 1892 and began as an architect and engineer at the Bureau of Reclamation in 1918. He selected sites and designed many large dams, including Hoover dam. He was the city planner for Boulder City, Nevada and Page, Arizona. Samuel Judd was head of Architectural and Structural Design Section of the United States Bureau of Reclamation from 1935 until retiring in 1962 and was Denver's Building Inspector in 1963. Samuel Judd directed the design and construction of the first Hebrew Educational Alliance Building and the Gaylord Street BMH building. The Judd Construction Company founded in 1949 by E. James Judd and the collection primarily centers on the Judd Construction Company job files on major building projects in Denver from 1950 through 1991.
Found in 26 Collections and/or Records:
(19) file folders #30-48 and (1) binder of job/financial information. File folders include: correspondence, job files, clippings, photos, ephemera. (10) of the files are on Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity, include: Meeting minutes, correspondence, administrative.