The Judd Family papers trace the involvement of the Judd family in the construction industry which began with Abraham Judelowitz who arrived in Denver in the 1880s and was instrumental in the building of the first Beth haMedrosh (BMH) Synagogue. His son, Samuel Judd was born in Denver in 1892 and began as an architect and engineer at the Bureau of Reclamation in 1918. He selected sites and designed many large dams, including Hoover dam. He was the city planner for Boulder City, Nevada and Page, Arizona. Samuel Judd was head of Architectural and Structural Design Section of the United States Bureau of Reclamation from 1935 until retiring in 1962 and was Denver's Building Inspector in 1963. Samuel Judd directed the design and construction of the first Hebrew Educational Alliance Building and the Gaylord Street BMH building. The Judd Construction Company founded in 1949 by E. James Judd and the collection primarily centers on the Judd Construction Company job files on major building projects in Denver from 1950 through 1991. Judd was also a founder and past president of Historic Denver, Inc. The papers of the Judd Family and the Judd Corporation concentrate on the construction industry in Denver, Colorado, but also have information on various organizations and on generations of a Jewish family. The papers include legal documents, construction and business documents, correspondence, diaries, newspaper clippings, photographs, an audiotape, appointment books, a dissertation by Eleanore Judd and supporting materials,and scrapbooks.
Biographical / Historical
Abraham Judelowitz, born in Russia in 1866, arrived in Denver, Colorado in the 1880s and brought his mother to Denver soon afterwards. He initially worked as a millwright and locksmith. Later, as a developer and contractor, he built the first Beth haMedrosh Hagodol Synagogue (BMH) building, many of the Jewish Consumptives' Relief Society buildings, and the Ex-Patients' Home. Samuel Judd was born in Denver on March 15, 1892. He was the son of Abraham and Fannie Judelowitz (nee Baer), and his siblings were George, Edward, Benjamin, Robert, Simon, Mollie (Malke), Philip, and Sarah (Meer). Samuel was educated in civil and architectural engineering at the University of Colorado in Boulder, Colorado. He married Lillian Israelske and they had three children: Grayce (Aronofsky), Edmond (most often referred to in his papers as E. James or Jim), and William. Samuel was chief of the Structural-Architectural Section, Branch of Design and Construction, Bureau of Reclamation in Denver in the 1940s; served as the Denver Building Inspector in 1963; and co-authored a book on concrete building design data. He was active in the structural and architectural design of pumping plants, warehouses, switchyard structures, and other structures including the Glen Canyon Dam and other Colorado River Reclamation Projects. Samuel also contributed his services to designing and building the first Hebrew Educational Alliance building on Denver 's West Side and the Gaylord Street BMH building. He was a member of B'nai B'rith, Temple Emanuel, and Southgate Lodge #138 A.F. and A.M.E. (Edmond) James Judd, born March 5, 1926, attended Denver public schools and was a member of the Tau Eta chapter of the Tau Epsilon Phi Fraternity at the University of Denver. After serving in the U. S. Army 10th Mountain Division for two years, he received a degree in building construction from the University of Denver. He founded the Judd Construction Company in 1949 after completing his post-graduate work at the University of Colorado. Some of the construction projects he is associated with are the Ninth St. Historic Park on the Auraria Campus, additions and alterations to the Jewish Community Center (JCC), Congregation Emanuel, the Pearl Street Temple Center, Molly Brown House restoration, and Congregation Zera Abraham. He was a member of Congregation Rodef Shalom until 1967 and was chairman of its building committee from 1957 to 1959. He was a founder and president of Historic Denver, Inc., is a member of the National Trust for Historic Preservation, and has been a board member and past president of the Jewish Community Center, Allied Jewish Apartments, and Congregation Temple Emanuel. He is also a board member and past president of the Center for Judaic Studies at the University of Denver. E. James Judd was also a member of the American Arbitration Association from 1976 to 1978. He married Eleanor (nee Parelman), and they have three children: Kenneth, Joel, and Nancy (Crawford).
30.25 Linear Feet (27 containers)
(16 record boxes, 7 print boxes, 1 half-legal document box, 2 letter document box, 1 poster box)