Kauvar, C. E. Hillel, Rabbi, 1879-1971
- Existence: 1879-1971
NUCMC data from American Jewish Archives for His Papers, 1912-1971 (Kauvar, Charles Eliezer Hillel; rabbi; of Denver, Colo.) LC man. auth. cd. (hdg.: Kauvar, Charles Eliezer Hillel, 1879- ; usage: C.E. Hillel Kauvar) WWWA, 1969-1973 (Kauvar, C(harles) E(liezer) Hillel, rabbi; b. Vilna, Russia, Aug. 14, 1879; s. Solomon and Rose M. (De Waltoff) K.; came to U.S., 1892; m. Belle G. Bluestone, 1909; home: Denver, Colo.; d. Aug. 23, 1971) WW for Denver, 1941: (Kauvar, Rev. Charles Elieazer Hillel; Rabbi, b. Vilna, Russia, Aug. 14, 1879; educ Coll of City of N Y, A B 1900 ; Columbia Univ. M A 1901; Jewish Theol Sem, L H D 1902 ; m Belle G. Bluestone, N Y City 1909 ; ch Solomon S, Abraham Judah, Goled Fage; m 2nd Sara S Kauvar. Came to U S 1892 ; Rabbi Beta-Ha-Medrosh Hagodal Congregation ; prof rabinnic lit, University of Denver; past pres Jewish Welfare Board, Central Jewish Coun ; v-p United Synagogue Am ; Colo delegate first Am Jewish Congress ; author "Pirke Aboth Comments" ; mem Denver Morals Comm, Colo Congress of P T A, Big Bro Movement, Denver Philos Soc (pres.) ; home 1316 Gilpin ; study, 1580 Gaylord, Denver. University of Denver. Commencement program, June 14th, 1952: Conferring of honorary degrees (Charles Eliezer Hillel Kauvar, Doctor of Divinity) Not in: WW in Colorado, 1938; WW in Colorado, 1958. Othodox Judaism in America, 1996.
Rabbi Charles Eliezer Hillel Kauvar (1879-1971) was a Denver-based rabbi who was instrumental in founding and sustaining many Jewish Denver organizations, including the Intermountain Jewish News. He was Colorado's second rabbi to hold a university chair, and served as president of the United Synagogue of America.
Found in 66 Collections and/or Records:
Overview Abraham J. Kauvar graduated from the University of Denver, Denver, Colorado in 1935 and earned a Doctor of Medicine in 1939 from the University of Chicago. He served as Professor of Medicine and Associate Dean of University of Colorado Medical School, and conducted research at the Eleanor Roosevelt Institute for Cancer Research. He was instrumental in founding the Neighborhood Health Program in 1965. He was manager of the Denver Department of Health and Hospitals and also served as...
Overview Adolph Kiesler, second from left at the head table, and Rabbi C. E. Hillel Kauvar, third from left, during a dinner event at the University of Denver during the 1955 University of Denver graduation when Kiesler received an honorary degree. Everyone at the event is standing and appear to be singing.
Overview The Beth Ha-Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) confirmation class of 1915 members are seated and standing in suits and dresses. The girls have large bows in their hair. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is seated in the middle of the second row. Left to right: Charles Rosenbaum and David Grimes seated on the floor. Sophie Miller Peterman standing second from right.
Overview The Beth Ha-Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) confirmation class members of 1921 are seated and standing in suits and dresses. The girls are all wearing hats. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is standing in the middle of the second row.
Overview The Beth Ha-Medrosh Hagodol (BMH) confirmation class of 1930 members are standing in suits and dresses. The girls have large bouquets in their arms. Rabbi Charles Kauvar is standing in the front row and next to him is standing Peryle Hayutin (Beck) with her hair in long curls. Rear L-R: Raymond Spiegelman, Albert Schnitzer, Bernard Goldberg, Abraham Kauvar (son of Rabbi Kauvar) and Paul Kwantin; Second row L-R: Leo Flax, Marvin Goldfarb, Minnie Wallins (teacher), Beatrice Pashel Groussman,...
Overview Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco...
Overview Sam Levenson, Adolf Kiesler, Rabbi Charles Kauvar and his wife seated at the Beth Israel Dinner on March 1, 1959. Beth Israel Hospital and Geriatric Center was founded in 1905 and was located on the west side of Denver at 16th and Lowell. Pictured are the Guldman and Dupler Buildings.
Overview Brief description of several early Jewish leaders of commerce, philanthropy, religion, and community as well as several Jewish lawyers, doctors, merchants, and politicians in Colorado.
Overview The Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Confirmation Class of 1911, thirteen young women and six young men, sit or stand around Rabbi Charles E. H. Kauvar. Another man stands behind Rabbi Kauvar. The girls all wear white dresses and big white boys and the boys are all in suits.