Skip to main content

Beth haMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B125

Beth HaMedrosh Hagodol Congregation (BMH-the Great House of Study) was establsihed in 1892 in a group of rented rooms above co-founder Henry Plonsky's shoe and boot store on Larimer Street in Denver, Colorado. It officially incorporated in 1897 and grew to become Denver's largest modern Orthodox Jewish congregation. The congregation was first housed at 24th and Curtis Streets and then erected a new building at 16th and Gaylord. In 1969 BMH moved to its present location at 560 S. Monaco Pkwy. Rabbi Charles Eliezar Hillel Kauvar became the first rabbi of BMH in 1901 and served in that position for more than 50 years. In 1972, Stanley Wagner became Rabbi. He and Rabbi Kauvar created the Center for Judaic Studies. Oheb Zedek (Those Who Love Justice) left BMH in 1911, but merged back in the 1930s. Beth Joseph became part of BMH-BJ in 1996.

The collections includes ledgers, material culture, cash receipt books, and a BMH Women's League Minute Book.

Dates

  • 1897-1983

Creator

Extent

5.75 Linear Feet (3 containers) : full legal document box, print box, and one item in a ma case drawer