Exterior of the Ostrover Synagogue, 1979
Exterior of the Ostrover Synagogue or ''Ostrover shul'' in the 1970s, when it was occupied by the Platte Valley Action Center. The synagogue was located in and served the west side Jewish community in Denver, Colorado at 14th Avenue and Lowell Boulevard. In the early 1900s, many Jews from Ostrov in Poland emigrated to Denver and formed a community in west Denver called the Ostrovers. They organized the Congregation Ostrover Beth Jacob in 1908. The blond brick building, shown here, was erected in 1949 and became the Ostrover shul.
Rights and Usage Statement
Copyright restrictions may apply. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
1 items (photograph)
Scope and Contents
From the Collection: The collection contains materials intentionally assembled by the Ira M. and Peryle Hayutin Beck Memorial Archives of Jews in the Rocky Mountain region. The bulk of the photographs are from or related to various towns in Colorado, but the collection also contains photographs from other states in the western United States and other countries. There are some 19th century photograph types represented in the collection, including albumen prints, daguerrotypes, tintypes, post cards, colorized prints, cabinet cards, and cartes-de-visite.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
Good 5 x 7 inches black and white
Donated by Charles McNamara.
Title supplied by archivist. ||Please credit Charles McNamara. ||Appears in ''Images of America: Jewish Denver 1859-1940,'' by Dr. Jeanne Abrams, page 66.
Inscription and Marks
On back of photograph: ''#473 ''Ostrover Sul'' (?) 14th and Lowell Photographed by Charles McNamara 1979''. On envelope: ''#473 Ostrover Shul''.
- McNamara, Charles (Photographer, Person)
- From the Collection: University of Denver. Center for Judaic Studies. Ira M. Beck Memorial Collection of Rocky Mountain Jewish History (Organization)
- From the Collection: Rocky Mountain Jewish Historical Society (Organization)