Bishop Mote Presents a History of St. Mary's Church in Denver, Colorado, 1986
Bishop James Mote shares the history of St. Mary's Anglican Catholic Church, which moved to the University Park area of Denver, Colorado in the 1930s. St. Mary's Church withdrew from the Episcopal Church on November 28, 1976 under his direction and joined other parishes in the Diocese of the Holy Trinity, which later became known as the Anglican Catholic Church. Bishop Mote also comments on the expansion of Denver's city limits to the south and to the east since his arrival in 1951, and notes that the University Park neighborhood is now one of the more central locations in the metropolitan area.
- Mote, James O., 1922-2006 (Narrator, Person)
Rights and Usage Statement
Copyright restrictions may apply. User is responsible for all copyright compliance.
1 items (sound tape cassette)
Scope and Contents
From the Series: The series consists of 50 oral histories collected by Barry Matchett during 1986. The interviewees were all persons who lived in the University Park neighborhood, and concerned their memories of growing up and living in the neighborhood over a number of years.
Physical Characteristics and Technical Requirements
1 audiotape cassette 11 minutes, 35 seconds
Gift of Barry Matchett, 1986
Digitized other analog
Title supplied by cataloger. ||Narration recorded at 2290 S. Clayton St., Denver, Colorado in 1986. ||Participants: Narrator, Bishop James Mote. ||Bishop James O. Mote (1922-2006) grew up in Indianapolis, Indiana, and was a Boy Scout, achieving Eagle status. He served as a chaplain's assistant in the Army during World War II, fought in the Battle of the Bulge, and was awarded a Bronze Star. He graduated from Canterbury College in Danville, Indiana in 1950 and from Nashotah House Seminary in Nashotah, Wisc. in 1951. He moved to Denver, Coloorado in 1951 and was ordained as an Episcopal priest in 1952. He joined St. Mary's Church at its present location at 2290 S. Clayton Street, and was a priest at the church for 40 years.