Skip to main content

Hillel Academy (Denver, Colo.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B165

Overview

Hillel Academy of Denver is an Orthodox Jewish day school (yeshiva ketana) in which religious and secular instruction takes place for preschool through 8th-grade students. It was begun in 1953 and is part of a network of Orthodox day schools in the United States. The collection contains meeting minutes, administrative notes, scrapbooks, Annual Dinner programs, and appointment calendars of the Ladies’ Auxiliary of Hillel Academy of Denver, Colorado, from 1963 through 1990.

Dates

  • 1963-2000

Creator

Biographical / Historical

Jews from around Denver founded the Hillel Academy in 1953. It began with two teachers and 27 students in kindergarten and the first grade. The aim was to provide religious and secular education and to give the students pride in Judaism and Americanism. The Academy grew by adding a new grade each year until classes included preschool through eighth grade. Beth Ha Medrosh Hagodol and Beth Joseph Synagogues provided space for the Academy until 1958, when the Academy moved to Holly and Leetsdale. A new facility opened at 450 S. Hudson in 1966. Hillel Academy is part of a network of Orthodox day schools in the United States. There are more than 300 students currently, with students in need receiving scholarships.

Extent

2.5 Linear Feet (3 containers) : record box, letter document box and print box

Scope and Contents

The collection contains four bound notebooks with meeting minutes and administrative notes, 1963-1990, two scrapbooks, seven Annual Dinner programs from 1973-1980 and one from 2010, and appointment calendars from 1987 from the Ladies’ Auxiliary of Hillel Academy of Denver, Colorado, from 1963 through 2010.

Arrangement

The records are arranged in two series: 1. Administration Records and Minutes, 1963-1990. 2. Events and Scrapbooks, 1969-2010.
Description rules
Describing Archives: A Content Standard
Language of description
English
Script of description
Latin

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428