Orthodox Judaism -- Colorado -- Denver
Found in 16 Collections and/or Records:
This box contains 12 folders of sermons spanning March 1969 to July 1971. Many of the sermons exist in duplicate or triplicate as marginalia and notes typically exist on one or more sermons and the other copy(ies) are facsimiles without the marginalia or notes.
This box contains 19 folders of sermons spanning August 1971 to November 1988. Many of the sermons exist in duplicate or triplicate as marginalia and notes typically exist on one or more sermons and the other copy(ies) are facsimiles without the marginalia or notes. This box also includes wedding sermons/speeches and a few sermons with no date.
Congregation Zera Israel (the Descendants of Israel) was organized on May 1, 1921 in a storefront, as a Lithuanian Orthodox synagogue. It was one of the Orthodox synagogues of West Denver. Rabbi Arthur L. Fine became the leader in 1979 and Morris B. Sapper and Julius Berger were presidents of the congregation. The collection contains Articles of Incorporation, Scrapbooks and Photographs, Events and Memorials.
Hillel Academy of Denver is an Orthodox Jewish day school (yeshiva ketana) in which religious and secular instruction takes place for preschool through 8th-grade students. It was begun in 1953 and is part of a network of Orthodox day schools in the United States. The collection contains meeting minutes, administrative notes, scrapbooks, Annual Dinner programs, and appointment calendars of the Ladies’ Auxiliary of Hillel Academy of Denver, Colorado, from 1963 through 1990.
Jacob Gorden who was a Schohet, Talmudic scholar, and later a mohel, emigrated to Denver in 1914 from Kolki,Russia to join his uncle, Velvel Heller. Soon Jacob had saved enough to bring his wife Charlotte and daughter Bess over, and the family settled on the Denver's west side. Two more daughters and a son were born in the family. Collection contains papers and notes related to Jacob Gorden from 1920, documents, and digitized photographs from circa 1900 to 1969.