Skip to main content

Congregation Micah Records

 Collection
Identifier: B136

Congregation Micah, the second Jewish Reform congregation in Denver, was started by members of Denver's Temple Emanuel who felt that their congregation had strayed from the principles taught by its former leader, Rabbi William Friedman. A number of individuals involved in the school's formation started a Reform Judaism congregation, which became incorporated in September 1956 as the Denver Congregation for Reform Judaism and changed its name to Congregation Micah in 1957. Congregation Micah is still active, currently meeting at 2600 Leyden in Denver.

Dates

  • 1950-1980

Creator

Extent

5.5 Linear Feet (5 record boxes and 1 legal document box)

Scope and Contents

The collection contains corporate records for Congregation Micah's officers, board of trustees, and committees as well as administrative and operational records. Documents include the constitution and bylaws, resolutions, minutes, correspondence, architectural drawings, building records, photographs, drawings, certificates, a Book of Life, financial records, school records, membership lists, calendars, brochures, scrapbooks, bulletins, newsletters,

Biographical / Historical

Congregation Micah, the second Jewish Reform congregation in Denver, was started by members of Denver's Temple Emanuel who felt that their congregation had strayed from the principles taught by its former leader, Rabbi William Friedman. Congregation Micah originated with the Denver School for Reform Judaism, which opened in September 1955 and offered classes to kindergarteners through ninth graders at the Barnes School of Commerce. A number of individuals involved in the school's formation started a Reform Judaism congregation, which became incorporated in September 1956 as the Denver Congregation for Reform Judaism and changed its name to Congregation Micah, after the Biblical prophet Micah, in 1957. The congregation moved into the first temple of its own, located at 195 South Monaco Parkway in Denver, in 1962. Congregation Micah sold its building to Mount Gilead Baptist Church in 1976, but the two congregations occupied the structure jointly until 1979, when Congregation Micah shared space with Park Hill Congregational Church. Congregation Micah is still active, currently meeting at 2600 Leyden in Denver.

Arrangement

The collection is arranged in 17 series:; 1. Board of Trustees Records, 1957-1978.; 2. Brotherhood and Sisterhood Records, 1967-1972.; 3. Cemetery, Funeral, and Memorial Records, 1967-1973.; 4. Committee Records, 1958-1974.; 5. Community Relations, 1964-1979.; 6. Confirmation and Conversion Records, 1957-1970.; 7. Employee and Employment Records, 1970-1973.; 8. Financial Records, 1963-1973.; 9. Holidays, Events, and Trips, 1967-1974.; 10. Legal Records, 1955-1957.; 11. Newsletters and Bulletins 1959-1971.; 12.Officers' Records, 1960-1973.; 13. Publicity and Public Relations, 1962-1973.; 14. Rabbis and Rabbinical Records. 1965-1972.; 15. School and Educational Records, 1955-1973. Publications.; 16. Photographs and Drawings, circa 1966-circa 1978.; 17. Miscellaneous Administrative Records, 1963-1974.;

Related Materials

Related materials specific to the Congregation Micah Sisterhood may be found in the following collection in this repository: Congregation Micah Sisterhood Records (B137).

Repository Details

Part of the Special Collections and Archives Repository

Contact:
2150 East Evans Avenue
Denver CO 80208
(303) 871-3428