Skip to main content Skip to search Skip to search results

Reform Judaism

 Subject
Subject Source: Local sources

Found in 20 Collections and/or Records:

Billings, Montana, 1977-1978

 File
Identifier: B114.04.0001.0005
Overview A few Jewish merchants settled in Billings in 1884, but a community began only after 1900. Congregation Beth Aaron was formed in Billings in 1918. The Jewish population grew and declined mainly with the boom (1950s) and bust (1960's) of the oil business. By 1979, there were approx. 30-40 Jewish families in Billings.

Box 1, 1884-1887

 File — Box B135.01.0001: Series B135.01 [U186020745971]
Identifier: B135.01.0001
Overview On July 13, 1884, Horrace Tabor conveyed property, as a gift, to "David May for the Benefit of the Congregation Israel." The congregation was organized primarily by Germanic Jews under the practice of Reform Judaism. The temple cost $4,000 to erect and was dedicated on September 19, 1884. A separate Jewish cemetery was also created. Of Leadville's population of 30,000 in the early 1800s, there were around around 300 Jewish residents. Many Jewish families in Leadville left after the silver panic...

Box 86, 1987-2011

 File — Box B258.01.0086: Series B258.01; Series B258.02 [U186023261772]
Identifier: B258.01.0086
Overview Contains 6 folders of Minutes (1987-2011), 2 membership reports (1996-2011), and 2 membership lists (1987-1996), 2 staff retreats (1992-2000), 2 Board retreats (1992-2006) and correspondence (1991 and 2000).

Congregation Emanuel Records

 Collection
Identifier: B258
Overview Congregation Emanuel, the oldest synagogue in Colorado, was founded in Denver by a group of mostly German Jewish immigrants. At a meeting in 1874, members of the congregation decided to draft a constitution and incorporate the congregation as an institution of Reform Judaism. Rabbi Samuel Weil became the congregation's first rabbi in 1876; he served the congregation for only a year and was followed by a number of rabbis whose terms were short-lived. Rabbi William S. Friedman became the...

Congregation Israel (Leadville, Colo.) Records

 Collection
Identifier: B135
Overview On July 13, 1884, Horrace Tabor conveyed property, as a gift, to "David May for the Benefit of the Congregation Israel." The congregation was organized primarily by Germanic Jews under the practice of Reform Judaism. The temple cost $4,000 to erect and was dedicated on September 19, 1884. A separate Jewish cemetery was also created. Of Leadville's population of 30,000 in the early 1800s, there were around around 300 Jewish residents. Many Jewish families in Leadville left after the silver panic...

Congregation Micah Records

 Collection
Identifier: B136
Overview Congregation Micah, the second Jewish Reform congregation in Denver, was started by members of Denver's Temple Emanuel who felt that their congregation had strayed from the principles taught by its former leader, Rabbi William Friedman. A number of individuals involved in the school's formation started a Reform Judaism congregation, which became incorporated in September 1956 as the Denver Congregation for Reform Judaism and changed its name to Congregation Micah in 1957. Congregation Micah...

Congregation Micah Sisterhood Records

 Collection
Identifier: B137
Overview The Sisterhood of Congregation Micah was a unit in the congregation until 1976. Membership declined during the 1960s and in 1976 the Congregation sold their buildings to the Mount Gilead Baptist Church and the Sisterhood ceased to exist. The collection primarily contains administrative and financial records, but also newsclippings, event materials, and recipes.

Formal portrait of Rabbi William S. Friedman, circa 1930

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0031.0001.00001
Overview Rabbi William S. Friedman is shown seated in a formal portrait. Rabbi Friedman became the rabbi of Temple Emanuel in 1889 at the age of 21 and served until 1938. A graduate of Hebrew Union College and a leader in the movement of Reform Judaism, he specialized in classic oratory and maintained a high civic profile in Denver, Colorado. He was a founder of National Jewish Hospital and Community Chest, a nonsectarian charity organization.

Formal portrait of Rabbi William S. Friedman, circa 1935

 Item
Identifier: B063.06.0033.0008.00001
Overview Head and shoulders portrait of Rabbi William S. Friedman wearing pince-nez glasses. Rabbi Friedman became the rabbi of Temple Emanuel in 1889 at the age of 21 and served until 1938. A graduate of Hebrew Union College and a leader in the movement of Reform Judaism, he specialized in classic oratory and maintained a high civic profile in Denver, Colorado. He was a founder of National Jewish Hospital and Community Chest, a nonsectarian charity organization.